Ford Forums banner

Timing belt tensioner tool

12K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  cf3232 
#1 ·
Anybody have this tool for sale for a reasonable price or know of a place I can get this tool for less than $100. I just need to use it once and that it all. If someone was willing to let me use it for a fee that would be fine as well. If there is someone local that would let me use it that would be great. I live in Falls Church, VA. I am willing to drive to get the part. The Ford Part number is either T74P-6254-B or T74P-6254-A. The part goes for a 1998 Ranger 4 Cyl SOHC 2.5 liter engine. I am sure it is the same part for the 2.3 liter engines as well.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

#4 ·
Young grasshopper, long pry bar is your friend. (in the best ancient Asian accent you can muster)

I actually went to the Ford Dealership and they told me they don't even have or use that tool. They told me they simply use a long pry bar to get the tensioner back. If I remember correctly there is a point with a screw to wedge the pry bar in there and pushing the tensioner back is a breeze. There is a helluva lot of tension on that tensioner, but the pry bar made quick and easy work of pushing it back. Don't be afraid to put the pry bar right on the tensioner roller. Let me know how yiou make out. Also I had to use a good impact gun to get the bolt out of the crank pulley. Hope you are not having trouble with that as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.