Ford Forums banner

Upgrade to...?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Hey guys, long time no post. This probably isnt the right forum but I'll give it a try anyways. I have had my 02 Ranger for seven years and it has done right by me ALWAYS. My wife announced there will be an addition and it looks like the Reg cab Ranger may have to sold. I was looking at a Sport Trac as the next in line but $$ can get in the way :). Tried F-150 but its way too big for my needs and the gas will kill me. I love the versatility of a truck vs SUV (still find myself hauling stuff that would never fit in an SUV). Any ideas?

#2 ·
Congrats on the addition!

Don't let fuel economy fool you here. A 4.0 Sport Trac can get similar mileage to a F150 with the 4.6L engine and 3.55 gears.

My service van is constantly under load, be it trailer, payload, you name it and today I filled up and achieved 14.84L/100km, or around 16 US mpg. It has the 4.6L 2V engine with 4.10 gears.

Motor Trend did a long term test with a F150 crew 5.4 V8 (2wd) and a Sport Trac 4.0 V6 (4x4) and both achieved the same fuel economy. I'm not sure what gear ratios they ran in the axle(s) but if you have the space to park a F150 and think a larger bed would be useful then it would be my choice. It might also be cheaper to insure a F150 as there are SO MANY out there and parts are relatively easy to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.