V6, 3.0L, Engine Swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 15:26   #1 (permalink)

V6, 3.0L, Engine Swap

Hi,
I have a 2004 Ford Ranger Edge, V6, 3.0L, 8th Letter in VIN = U
I have blown my lower main bearings and need to do an engine swap.

Oil got low (no leaks or smoke) by the time the light came on, it was to late. Thought I had a valve tick, talked to a mechanic and he said that due to the lack of oil, that the lower main bearings were damaged and the engine was going to fail eventually.

He was right, about a month later the engine blew. It's knocking loud and won't go faster than 40mph, so I'm driving my old Jeep in the meantime, but need to get this fixed ASAP. The car IS worth saving, it's only a 2004 and everything else is perfect.

I have found a few places that will sell me a used engine, tested and guaranteed. Most go for $1500 shipped but I found a local place that sells them for around $1000. But they sell them quickly and always are out of stock by the time I call. But worth $500 to be persistent.

Believe it will be a "short block" a stripped down to the block version, the equiptment will have to be taken off my old block and put on the new one (exactly what I don't know).

I have talked to a mechanic and been quoted an ESTIMATE of around $1600 to do the swap if I bring in the new engine with the blown engine in the truck. BUT, does $1600 seem low to anyone?

I was going to do this myself, however, I am inexperienced and don't want to mess it up and get in a position where I have just "screwed the pooch" and cause a bigger mess than I already have in front of me.

I have $2100 cash available (pre buying the engine), the rest will be credit. Any comments or suggestions? Espically what you believe I would be paying if I bring in a working block and have the mechanic do the rest of the work.

Would you do it yourself?

Any suggestions on how to minimize the cost?

Any comments, just for my own knowlege, of why the 8th letter of the VIN (U) is important?

If I were to attempt to do this myself, what secrets should I know?

Is taking the old engine out and towing the truck to the mechanic a good idea to minimize the cost, or do you think the mechanic should know how it comes apart to effectively put it back together?

Anything else I should be asking?

Thank you in advance!!!
-Josh
JPDeMello is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: V6, 3.0L, Engine Swap

Means you will have to transfer heads etc . from old engine to replacement block . All depends on mileage and whether lack of oil caused any damage up top whether heads , valves etc will be o.k or need work .Dont think many mechanics appreciate owners stripping down , pulling out engine and then towing truck into workshop .Is there no decent places that supply and fit recon / replacement units for an all in price ? Or any engineering shops that will recon your own engine ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum