v8 swap in Maryland - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 20:31   #1 (permalink)

v8 swap in Maryland

New to this site and any elp would be great. 97 ranger obd2 want 302 installed is there any way around emisions. using other then explorer setup?
bigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 08:41   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: v8 swap in Maryland

I'd contact your state to find out what the laws are when it comes to emissions testing.

This is what I believe:
If you were to install a 302 setup from an Explorer or earlier Mustang you'll have to utilize the computer and wiring harness as well. Most emissions centers (here anyway) scan a barcode in the drivers door that displays the vehicles specifications and such. Perhaps if they could scan the barcode on the PCM of the larger engine then the emissions center will calculate what the particular emissions should be for the 302, and not the original engine that was in the vehicle. Just my $0.02.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54   #3 (permalink)

Re: v8 swap in Maryland

I live in Arizona. I'm not sure how your laws are setup but here if you swap engines you must install one of the same year or newer. Being that you have an OBD2 standard the emissions are super tight as OBD2 has that capability over OBD1. As mentioned here it's best to check your state laws but one thing is for sure, if your vehicle is an OBD2 standard I'm sure it will have to stay that way with your swap.
fordo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum