vin number ?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 16:30   #1 (permalink)

confused vin number ??

I own a 88 ford ranger and i had pulled the old motor out,it was baked .i bought from a auto wrecker a motor from afrom a bronco and put it in there,but i forgot the year of the motor and i had called him back and he forgot too ,lol so now iam wondering if any would know where to look on the motor for the vin number to find the year of the motor ,i think the year would be a 88 or 89 but not sure.any info would be helpfull thanks all
icewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2006, 18:16   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: vin number ??

pictures of the engine, and any discritpive numbers on it, would greatly help.
Old 07-17-2006, 20:35   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: vin number ??

the motor is in the truck now and as for numbers,where i look for them ?? thats my question.where do i look for the numbers for the motor vin serial numbers??
Old 07-17-2006, 21:18   #4 (permalink)

my Ranger

for any one ,who wants to know what ranger,i got and one i been looking for a very very long time.its a 1988 ranger with extand cab and a 5 speed ,V6 2.9 L motor . EFI white in color ,blue inside , duel tanks ,total new clutch system in her. changing color to where a person looks at one way its a diff color and look at a diff angel,its a diff color. i be getting my brothers camera soon and taking before and after pics of it.motor swap from a bronco and replace both tanks , going in for front end line up .then at end of the month ,going in for wire job, gauges not working.it runs and let me tell you,she smokes them new tires on payement lol have ether paint or rechrome the rims or buy some nice rims to go with it.not sure if going for beauty rings or hub caps , depends on if get rechrome or painted rims. got some pics on here and some very helpful hints on here.keep up the good work
Old 07-18-2006, 10:38   #5 (permalink)

i found a 2 set of numbers, not sure what they are for .heres the set of numbers,hope someone can figure out what they for . RF-E87E-9425-AA and the second set are 10A3189 thanks for any info
Old 07-22-2006, 15:33   #6 (permalink)

After having worked for the Florida Dept of Motor
Vehicles for 10 years, here is what I know about
VIN #'s. 1981 and some 1982 vehicles had the standard
9-10 digit VIN, from mid 1982 to current a 17 digit VIN #
system was adopted.

To answer your ? about finding the year of a vehicle from a VIN #,
look at the 10th character (usually a letter), and that will tell
you the year, I believe they recycle them, so if the 10th character
is an "M", the vehicle is a 1991 model. I have heard that the VIN is
printed in several different places on the engine block.

If you are lucky enough to obtain a copy of a NICB VIN maual, you
can use that to assist in the reading of VIN #'s.

Here is another site that you should be able to access your VIN
and get all the info vin number search - Vehicle Identification Number Library

How to read a VIN:

VIN # JH4NA1157MT001832

1st character- Identifies the country in which the vehicle was manufactured.
For example: U.S.A.(1or 4), Canada(2), Mexico(3), Japan(J), Korea(K), England(S), Germany(W), Italy(Z)

2nd character- Identifies the manufacturer. For example; Audi(A),
BMW(B), Buick(4), Cadillac(6), Chevrolet(1), Chrysler(C), Dodge(B),
Ford(F), GM Canada(7), General Motors(G), Honda(H), Jaquar(A), Lincoln(L), Mercedes Benz(D), Mercury(M), Nissan(N), Oldsmobile(3), Pontiac(2or5), Plymouth(P), Saturn(8), Toyota(T), VW(V), Volvo(V).

3rd character- Identifies vehicle type or manufacturing division.

4th to 8th characters- VDS - Vehicle Descriptor Section. These 5 characters occupy positions 4 through 8 of the VIN and may be used by the manufacturer to identify attributes of the vehicle. Identifies vehicle features such as body style, engine type, model, series, etc.

9th Character - The check digit "character or digit 9" in the sequence of a vehicle identification number (VIN) built beginning with model year 1981 (when the 17 character digit format was established) can best be described as identifying the VIN accuracy. A check digit shall be part of each vin (since 1981) and shall appear in position nine (9) of the VIN on the vehicle and on any transfer documents containing the vin prepared by the manufacturer to be given to the first owner for purposes other than resale. Thus, the vins of any two vehicles manufactured within a 30 year period shall not be identical. The check digit means a single number or letter "x" used to verify the accuracy of the transcription of the vehicle identification number.
After all other characters in the VIN have been determined by the manufacturer the check digit is calculated by carrying out a mathematical computation specified. This is based on vin position, sample vin, assigned value code, weight factor and multiply assigned value times weight factors. The values are added and the total is divided by 11. The remainder is the check digit number. The correct numeric remainder - zero through nine (0-9) will appear. However, if the remainder is 10 the letter "X" is used to designate the check digit value/number.

10th character- Identifies the model year. For example: 1988(J), 1989(K), 1990(L), 1991(M), 1992(N), 1993(P), 1994(R), 1995(S), 1996(T),
1997(V), 1998(W), 1999(X), 2000(Y)------2001(1), 2002(2), 2003(3)

11th character- Identifies the assembly plant for the vehicle.

12th to 17th characters- VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section. The last 8 characters of the VIN are used for the identification a of specific vehicle. The last four characters shall always be numeric. Identifies the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled off the manufacturers assembly line.

Hope this helps
soylentorange2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:36   #7 (permalink)

the serial num for engines are usually on the driverside of the intake manifold, or head. ask your dealer they should be able to tell you.
pillen140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 18:42   #8 (permalink)

thank you all for the info to find engine serial number. i called ford dealership here and talk to the service department and they told me ,the serial number is on a paper tag ,thats on the right side of the motor,but someone paint it over and the info is lost.I have now bought a onther 1988 ranger from SGI salvage yard. it was a roll over,the only diff between the 2 trucks,is the roll over is a auotmatic and i got a standard. so now,i got parts ,i need and parts for any future work.thanks all
Old 08-02-2006, 18:43   #9 (permalink)

oops forgot one piece of info,its on the front of the vail cover and when looking at the motor,it be the right side on the motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum