Washed my motor and wont start now.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Ranger Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Ranger.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54   #1 (permalink)

Washed my motor and wont start now....

Re: 1994 4.0 ranger starting problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

Yesterday I washed the motor in my 1994 4.0 Ranger. When I was done, the truck started normaly in the carwash bay. I drove it all over town, shutting it off and starting it, with no problems. Then I parked it for about an hour and tried to start it again and it was completely dead. I mean, no dome light, no nothing, just like the battery was removed.

After trying to jump start it for awhile, I let the battery charge up for about 15 minutes before trying to start it again.....and it started. On the way home my volt meter was was going crazy. When I used my turn signals the volt meter would go back and forth. When I turned on my heater and fan the volt meter dropped, but the headlights did not dim or anything like that.

When I got home after jumping it, I shut it off and tried to restart it. All I got was a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the firewall on the driver side of the engine compartment.

Ok, my question is: After washing my motor, why would the truck start normaly (several times), and then just go dead?

I have today (sat) and tomorrow (sun) to fix the problem before I need my truck to go to work.

Thanks in advance for any help with my problem.

Stan

Last edited by stansoup56; 01-03-2009 at 08:18. Reason: spelling
stansoup56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Washed my motor and wont start now....

Clicking noise indicates a bad/weak battery. I'd get the battery AND alternator tested as you may have damaged the relay on the alternator if you didn't cover it up with plastic before washing the engine. Some newer alternators are better sealed to handle the weather (and washing). A bad alternator would also explain a weak/dead battery.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe AutoZone (USA) will do this free of charge.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 17:45   #3 (permalink)

Re: Washed my motor and wont start now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Clicking noise indicates a bad/weak battery. I'd get the battery AND alternator tested as you may have damaged the relay on the alternator if you didn't cover it up with plastic before washing the engine. Some newer alternators are better sealed to handle the weather (and washing). A bad alternator would also explain a weak/dead battery.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe AutoZone (USA) will do this free of charge.

Thank you 360ci.

Im kicking myself for not throwing a plastic bag over the alternator.....DUH!!!

I took the battery out of my sons car (he aint driving it till he gets a job anyway!) and the truck started right away. Im probably running directly off the battery at this point......just enough to get me to my buddys shop on my way to work Monday.

Thanks again for your help!
----------------------------------------

Oh yeah.......48 views and one reply to about the easiest question a guy could ask! I can see guys reading my question, and thinking to themselves....."Nope, dont know that one"......"Nope, dont know that one"......"Nope, dont know that one"....hahahaha! Damn, How many views would it take to get an answer to a little harder question?

Last edited by stansoup56; 01-04-2009 at 17:47. Reason: spelling
stansoup56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Ranger Forum