Ford Forums banner

Big Als Poker Run 14th Feb

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  EFJase 
#1 ·
Thought some mite be interestred in this.
This Saturday, shouldbe a big turnout

xf351gt said:
Pre-entry to the 2004 Poker Run is now closed. For those wishing to join the Run,

entry will be available on the day at the Registration tent located in Burswood Park. Cost will be $45 per car.

Keep Valentine's Day Saturday 14th February 2004 free for Big Al's Poker Run.

The History of Big Al's Poker Run.

Big Al’s Poker Run for 2004 will be held on Saturday,14th February. Gates open at 10:00am at Burswood Park for a show ‘n’ shine. Entry on the day at the park costs $45 per car. Entrants may arrive at any time until 3:30pm but it’s advisable to be earlier rather than later if shade parking is required. Spectator entry to the show ‘n’ shine is a gold coin donation.

The Poker Run has always supported worthwhile charities and causes and this year it is supporting the Caitlin Lenaghan Fund. Three-year-old Caitlin suffers from severe cerebral palsy and part proceeds from the Poker Run will help with her support and treatment.

Vendors at Burswood Park, amongst them the Floreat Lions, provide entrants and spectators with a wide range of foods and drinks. Some entrants picnic by the river, others set up tables and lunch under the trees. Alcohol is not permitted at Burswood Park.

At 4:00pm, entrants head out on a cruise through Perth and its suburbs, following a set on instructions traditionally designed to confuse and bewilder. If all goes well, entrants arrive 90-120 minutes later at a large sporting complex for the second part of the event.

Entry to the complex is restricted to entered vehicles only. Other cars must be parked outside and occupants admitted at $10 per head. By the time all entrants have parked their vehicles on the lawn, the evening is well under way. The Ladies’ Committee manage the kiosk selling hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, pies, pasties and BBQ packs. BBQs and utensils are provided free of charge. Many entrants bring their own hampers and picnic under lights around their vehicles. Alcohol is permitted and on sale at the grounds. A live band and a DJ provide the music throughout the night, hundreds of prizes are given away and the evening winds down after the drive-through trophy presentation.

We trust you’ll enjoy Big Al’s 24th Poker Run. And while you’re having fun, it might be a good idea to bone up on your history and geography. As preparations for the big one, the 25th Anniversary Poker Run in 2005, gather momentum, the word is that if you don’t know some of what’s gone on before, you’re going to get lost, big time!

thay have a website too that where the info`s from

www.pokerrun.com.au

-Jase

#2 ·
i will be going along to the show n shine in the afternoon. hope to go to the ace ford club cruise the following weekend.

#4 ·
I drove past, didnt have time to stop but, wishing i did now.
Some real nice cars there :thup:

Maybe next year
:)

#5 ·
Baxle...what were you in? i had a look around the cars and was blown away at how many quality cars there are in perth. the show-stealer was the rolls royce truck thingy...you know the one :)

i loved the little riley elf, the green ford pop van and my favourite, the 1961 candy apple red holden. it inspired me on to my next project...an anglia.

what a turn out. is anyone here goping to do teh ACE FORD club cruise nect weekend?

#6 ·
rsgerry, was in a white 1969 GM Buick Wildcat. We parked right up the back on the left on the outer edge next to nice white XY GT (owner did have a phase 3) and some very nice XP 2 doors. Yeah saw the rolls royce truck, still remember the guy using it befor the high rise kit as a burnout car for motorvation a few years ago (he parked the front bumper against the wall then let rip haha). The candy red EH holden was indeed very nice, was in the tent at motorvation. Also the holden 1 tonner ute near our end sounded absolutly insane!!

Few other highlights were a XA-C two door coup, turned into a convertable! the bikes with the drag slicks as rear wheels (apprently born from a night in the shed on the booze), the kids lined along the street as we drove past on the cruise going nuts cos Dad sounded the "la ca caracha" horns and the kid size mini hot rod.

#7 ·
Well I have a bad experience to share from this event. My mate was lined up to buy a hotdog, and a bloke came up to him and goes "What are you driving?". my mate goes "I brought my VY SS ute along for the run" and this guy goes "well your type aren't welcome to these types of events". Later on we found out that this guy was big al himself. More like Big GAY Al if you ask me. What a flogger. And my mate is a respectable 29yo.

#8 ·
Yeah well i read in the paper that "if u bring a standard commo of falcon, Al wont be happy" or something along those lines.
which i thought was a bit rough, considering not everyone has a spare $50k to spend on a 1930s car.

I thought it was open too all cars, and car enthuisiests.
And if al had said that to me i thing i woulda flattened him... then ran like all hell

I can see where hes coming from, but to go as far to activley 'tell off' people and condem them being there & supporting the event is a bit off imo

#9 ·
if he doesnt want cars like that coming along, then he should make that clear up front. no sly shots at people waiting in lines. the whole idea of hot rodding was to build and drive a car that you wanted. if nothing was available from the factory, you created it. IMO, if what you want is available from the factory, then buy it. the idea is that a load of car enthusiasts get together and cruise. if he wants a rod only cruise, that should be made perfectly clear up front.

#10 ·
The ute is in no way standard, she flies (for a holden) and being our first time there we just wanted to see what it was like, so we can build something for next year. And part of the proceeds were going towards some little sick girl, the more the merrier I say.

#11 ·
Will do next week's ACE cruize to the jetboat racing park(free entry included )I believe, and had good day at the Poker run Mine was one of the 3 XB coupe's parked towards the road in the middle, the others 2 were a red and a goldy coloured XB GT's, Mine was a Yellow XB fairmont with a yellow fact board next to it.
The run was mayhem and I abandoned it midway,straight to a groggshop then to the endpoint.
Noticed a familiar white ef amongdt the cars with a rear window sticker.

#12 ·
Woulda thought thered be a few more coupes there.
Good to see you enjoyed it :thup:

XW still cant see why he said that, but people will be people :/
Hope you had a good run anyway

#15 ·
Hey guys, I went to Big Al's and had a ball...

If you got a problem with him having a go at your mate for driving a VY SS (Oh and by the way I was with my Cruizin TV mates and I pulled out the old "0" scorecard and flogged it too him and he gave the finger to me :wnc: ) then you gotta understand where he's coming from. The Commodore Car Club "et al" has done some severe damage to the nameplate. Al doesn't want a tonne of commodores and falcons coming because it's a show for Hot Rods, Kustoms and Classics... and he wants it to stay that way.

My 209 photo's from Big Al's are now online so check them out and if your cars there hotlink onto here...

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS

#16 ·
Maybe he should make that clearer in the adverts.
Last time i was there (2yrs back), there were quite a few HSVs running round. Maybe thats when they stuffed up

Thanks for the pics. :)

Do u do much with cruizin?

#17 ·
Basically a few years back a stack of commodores and falcons came on the run and just did burnouts and carried on like a real bunch of f__kwits and it jepodised the run really badly. Police were treatning to shut it down if it happened etc and a whole bunch of politics got in the way of what should be a good event.

I met most of the cruizin boys on the website forums here and now go to most hot rod shows and that with them. Some of them are great blokes and some love to shit stir but at the end of the day they're all cool. Murray (the shows host) bought my XC Falcon off me and now I'm helping him establish a new website format and all that shit...

#18 ·
What happened to the "Uncommondore"?
Havent seen a show in a while

And i remeber a couple clubsports leaving some tread behind now that u mention it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.