Holden boys taking over Willowbank? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Regional Clubs and Events > On the Road in Australia
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

On the Road in Australia This area is for talkin about your tours, meets, and trips in Australia.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

mad Holden boys taking over Willowbank?

This has been irritating me for a while... is anyone else fed up with being surrounded by red LS1s and the primate behaviour of some of the idiots who drive them.

Went out for some fun last Saturday afternoon and found myself to be the only late model Ford there. I did see a couple of XDs and some Capris etc however in the AU/BA category so to speak I was it... and the 'LS1 boys' didn't miss the fact either.

I found it more than co-incidental that almost every time I returned to staging and pulled in a lane with no Commy anywhere nearby I was suddenly surrounded by them – red ones left, right and behind, two or three deep. I joked with some of them that red didn’t really make their cars go any faster. Some responses – “we’re all LS1 boys here ya know” and “we’ve got this place covered”.

Later, on run 3 or 4 I took the opportunity to test out my new rev limit (6400) which came in just as it should but with surprising 'whoa-back' when it did. Happy with that experiment and not concerned by the 16sec ET that was a by-product I returned to staging and went to have a look at the red Monaro that ran with me and chat with the owner. I was staggered to find the LS1 boys in a huddled victory dance (yes some were dancing) over the flogging they gave me. The timeslip was like a fire they all could dance around. They were well aware of the fact I had a much older, much heavier 5.0L compared to the 5 day old 5.7 GenIII Monaro and I’d done 2/3 of the quarter in 1st gear however this made no difference to the increasing amount of froth coming from their mouths.

I shouldn’t be too harsh though, some did pause for a moment when I asked them a few tech questions about there cars and what they had done to them. Their response – “Hah, I paid 60 grand for this baby”… that was as sophisticated as they could get.

Then there’s the story of an AUII XR8 that pulled into staging lane 7 (far right lane) one night and was told repeatedly and aggressively to pi$$ off as that lane was for Commodores only.

Seems there is an increasing number of Commy drivers out at Willowbank who are determined to go around pi$$ing on everything to mark their territory… and I’m sure they see their weight of number as another sign of Holden being number one on any count.

Sure would be good to see 20 or 30 Falcons out at Willowbank one evening. Can we do it?
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2004, 20:21   #2 (permalink)
Proudly Average

Re: Holden boys taking over Willowbank?

Sounds fairly familiar. I say wrap the end of a discarded camshaft in some sacking (as a hand grip), and dispense rough justice when necessary.

I'm all for a big Willowbank meet. Don't know how much *I* can show the LS1's - I suspect they'd be back with their neanderthal mates in the staging lanes by the time i got to the end of the 400...
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Thats stupid, i dont understand it. I dont like commodores, i prefer fords but i will easily and happily admit a nice commodore when i see one.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 21:31   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGhiaV8
I shouldn’t be too harsh though, some did pause for a moment when I asked them a few tech questions about there cars and what they had done to them. Their response – “Hah, I paid 60 grand for this baby”… that was as sophisticated as they could get.

Seems there is an increasing number of Commy drivers out at Willowbank who are determined to go around pi$$ing on everything to mark their territory… and I’m sure they see their weight of number as another sign of Holden being number one on any count.

Sure would be good to see 20 or 30 Falcons out at Willowbank one evening. Can we do it?
One. That counts me out as you would have described my car by the signwriting,not to mention it owes $40K all up..not 60K

Two, I only come out to play with Turbos and GT's...oh and of course Willowbanks fastest AU111...*Grunters*....which so far has put the rest of the Ford camp to shame

Three, what about the infamous Cannonball day where Little Red Car and its its little bother.the Red VYute where outnumbered 50 to 1 by the Ford Camp...
And we still whopped yer Ass...with unopened cars .that Sir is why the BA's are staying at home..
The competition is just to hot ................

Mind you.the day they crack the BA's pcm the smile might just be on the other foot or Camp..so to speak....now stop whinging and get back out there and run some numbers...not all those Gen111's are as quick as there
owners believe them to be ..but you best hurry..they are going faster all the time............
Old 08-15-2004, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Sounds fairly familiar. I say wrap the end of a discarded camshaft in some sacking (as a hand grip), and dispense rough justice when necessary.
Any particular camshaft? I have one spare. I picked it up again last night, actually... a fine weapon indeed.

I'd love to come along to Willowbank at some point, although my car won't be running down the strip - I'd get all embarassed.
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 21:57   #6 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

It's a shame really. Rivalry in moderation is healthy but when it goes too far it's nothing but irritating. I've noticed many a red VX at Willowbank but have never really felt unwelcome. Anyone who doesn't want to talk techo car stuff with me because of the badge on my vehicle is not worth my time anyway.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 22:17   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Feel sorry for you guys up there. Calder is still a fun place to go. I think I'm the only I6 owner from here thats had the guts to actually turn up on a semi regular basis (Hamo is the other one and does a fine job scaring quite a few V8's) but I do it for fun not to bag others. Hell, I had been chasing down a problem and only just recently got into the 15.xx second bracket. Reaction from the Holden drivers at the time was "Good on ya mate, glad to see you haveing a go!" From the OFR group and other drivers was a hearty cheers for a PB!
Drag racing is to enjoy yourself, something it looks like the idiots in their masses at Willowback have forgotten. Fortunatly, its still alive and well at Calder.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 22:29   #8 (permalink)

Oh my …a little too self conscious me thinks …….. A little gentle digging reveals ( no camshaft persuasion required ) that the Victory dance was more in keeping with running a stock unedited M6 Monaro down the ¼ in mid 13.seconds….an admirable feat in any language,given the poor racing conditions……imho…and worthy of much rejoicing …and the later consumption of many a fine ale
Old 08-15-2004, 22:36   #9 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

Man - things don't change - I remember getting booted from Castlereagh because my 64 Beetle could run low 14's and the 350 Monaro's got peed-off

Sometimes there is just no escaping the lower end of the gene pool
Old 08-15-2004, 22:42   #10 (permalink)
HORNY LITTLE ANIMAL

Well, ETs and trap speeds can be a point of passion but the real deal for me is the community spirit that exists in the respective camps and their regard/respect for each other. It is quite obvious there is a great deal of Ford community spirit around the forums etc but you just don't see a great deal of it in groups at Willowbank.

I've always been a Ford boy but I've always had a healthy respect for the opposition and enjoy any friendly rivalry that's to be had. I do find many Holden people out at the Bank to be genuine, informed, balanced automotive fans and they're great to have a chin wag to and appreciate all our respective machines. The bloke who actually owned that red Monaro actually seemed like a reasonable fella and we chatted for a bit. Others can just act like neanderthals and have little regard or respect for anyone... just happy to see 'red' all the time. I've come across a few Fordies like this too.

If we want to talk about kickin' arse then you only have to look at the Ford's all-round class, style and spirit to see they're leagues ahead. On the other side, an oversized Hyundi Excel body kit on a Commodore doesn't give it class... it just makes it look like an oversized Hyundi Excel.

Take 500kgs off my luxury tank and let me swell the 8 pots to a combined 5.7L and I'd be back eatin' chips before any SS found the strip exit road.

I will concede and suggest the the Holden crew do appear to get there band together, get out there and play there fiddle (or is that just fiddle) far more the Ford fans do. There are good and bad amongst them but to their credit they're all out there waving their badge around.

I don't think anyone wants to put up with any angst out at the drags. We just need to balance up some of the flag flying.

Lady in Red... what car is it you have (5.7, supercharged, turbo)? Is it that red missile with the big 'somethingchip' on the sides?

Grouping/matching cars of equal power would be nice. But then again, it's only a test and tune and not really the point.
AUGhiaV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Regional Clubs and Events > On the Road in Australia