Ford Forums banner

HOSPITALITY BASE: 3FB Bathurst 24hr

24K views 304 replies 30 participants last post by  tickford2001 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
:edit: Pics and ramblings from the event start at the bottom of Page 8, or click here to jump there now. :edit:

HOSPITALITY BASE: 3FB Bathurst 24hr. November 21st-23rd, 2003

Okay, with the new forum comes a new thread on this subject. DK and I discussed just moving the original thread from the On the Road section, but it’s pretty scattered with lots of general chat in it.

Hospitality Base is a different concept to anything 3FB have done before. Many of us go to the mountain every year for either the V8’s or the 24hr, so we’re setting up a Ford Forums Base Camp for everyone to base their travels from over the weekend.

We’ll be attempting to grab a group of camping sites together up at the top of the mountain, park our cars in a circle (figuratively speaking) and pitch our base camp in the middle.

Current plans include Lisa’s enormous truck tarp, a couple of small shade houses, my car tarp to sling between them, DK is bringing a BBQ and I think Lisa may be bringing a TV and generator.

As a base camp, it’s not intended that you must stay here all weekend. We see it as a safety in numbers kind of thing where no matter what you’re doing, there will always be someone around to look after the gear and hopefully make sure nothing goes walkabout while you do.

We can all go off and do our own thing in small groups, then meet back at the camp at different times and to do different things. We're presuming that as per last year a shuttle bus will run between the top and bottom of the mountain regularly, so you will not have to walk all the way down to the pits and back, but you must be camping at the top of the mountain to get access up there during the night.

If you have a small handheld UHF radio, bring it along, as Radio3FB will be running on Channel 10 (subject to confirmation) so that we can hopefully keep in contact when we’re spread around the mountain. :edit: I have since spoken to DK on this matter and he confirmed for me that the small Uniden hand-helds that many of us have won't transmit all the way to the top of the mountain from in the pits or vice versa, but bring them along anyway for the regular 3FB UHF hi-jinks.

If you’re staying for the full weekend, it is suggested that each of you will need to bring AT LEAST a sleeping bag (or blankets if you’re sleeping in your car), an esky or two with some food and grog (I’m sure there will be fast food vans at the top of the mountain, but quality and prices are bound to offend at some point), comfortable walking shoes, wet weather protection (raincoat or poncho) and probably some warm clothing for the early morning hours at the least.

If you go to the 24hr site www.bathurst24hr.com comprehensive camping information can be found there. I’ve reproduced what I think are the pertinent points below:

Top of the Mountain
$20 per Adult: $10 per Child (Under 12)
Showers, toilets, no power. Opens: Thursday 20 Nov.03
Cash sales only, Access only through Barry Gurden Drive

Tickets
Tickets to the Event must be purchased in addition to the cost of a campsite(s). Tickets are on sale now through www.ticketmaster7.com. Alternatively, tickets can be purchased at the Event.

Vehicles
All vehicles are the responsibility of the owner and must be contained within the confines of the camp site or sites. All additional vehicles will need to be housed in an overflow carpark at the foot of the mountain on Barry Gurdon Drive.

Conditions of Entry
· You must comply with the terms and conditions appearing on your entry ticket
· You must comply with all signs, instructions and directions regulating this event
· You must comply with all directions from the Police, Security and Officials
· Alcohol in glass bottles are not permitted into the Event Venue
· No illegal substances are permitted into the Event Venue
· No fireworks or explosives are permitted into the Event Venue
· No weapons are permitted into the Event Venue
· No petrol canisters over 5 litre capacity are permitted into the Event Venue
· No animals are permitted into the Event Venue
· No platforms or anything that can be used to erect platforms is permitted into the Event Venue. Nothing that will obstruct the view of patrons is allowed to be constructed. The Event Organisers reserve the right to advise what is unacceptable.
· Unless you are camping at the top of the mountain, no vehicle access will be permitted to this area, without the express written permission of the Event Organiser
· Failure to comply with these conditions may result in refusal of entry to or removal from the Event Venue
· The Event Organisers shall not be liable for any loss, damage, claim or demand suffered by any person(s) as a result (directly or indirectly) of non-compliance with these campground rules.

Campground Rules
· Reasonable behaviour is expected at all times. The police and / or security will enforce eviction for disorderly conduct and other misbehaviour.
· The event organiser reserves the right to refuse entry to the Campgrounds to any person it deems unfit or inappropriate in its discretion
· If your vehicle and/or accommodation facilities exceed the campsite size you are required to purchase an additional site. A tow away service will be in operation for any vehicles that are not parked completely within the allotted campsite
· Vehicles may only be used for entering and exiting the Campgrounds via the main gates
· Unregistered or unroadworthy vehicles will not be admitted into the campground area
· Use of vehicles within the Campgrounds on undesignated roads or for unlawful/dangerous practices is strictly forbidden
· Identification wristbands for persons and stickers for vehicles issued by the applicable campsite office, must be clearly visible at all times
· All requests and directions regarding the above from the Event Organiser, Security and/or police must be adhered to at all times.

In addition to the $20 per person to camp at the top of the mountain, you obviously have to buy your tickets to get into the event. Tickets can be pre-bought as mention above or at the gate when you arrive.

As TeamGT have also invited us to come visit them in the pits over the course of the weekend, you will need to purchase a Paddock pass as well to get access to the pits area.

Price breakdowns are as follows:

3 Day General Admission (Advance) (At the Gate)
3 Day GA/Paddock Adult ($69*) ($74)
3 Day GA/Paddock Concession ($59*) ($64)

Weekend General Admission (Advance) (At the Gate)
Weekend GA Paddock Adult ($55*) ($60)
Weekend GA Paddock Concession ($47*) ($52)

Sunday General Admission (Advance) (At the Gate)
Sunday GA Paddock Adult ($40*) ($45)
Sunday GA Paddock Concession ($34*) ($39)

(*)Please note that a small Ticketmaster7 booking fee applies to advance ticket sales

For those Ford Forum members planning on doing your own thing on the weekend, we ask that you drop by and say hello, we’ll be keeping a list of all the members that drop in over the weekend and see how many we can get before the chequered flag drops on Sunday arvo.

More details will follow as plans firm up closer to the final date.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

Cheers
Jason
3FB Cruise Director

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Event Schedule...

Friday 21st November
07.45 - 08.05 - P1 - 20 min Australian Porsche Drivers Challenge Practice
08.20 - 08.50 - Q1 - 30 min V8 BRutes Qualifying #1
09.05 - 09.35 - Q2 - 30 min 2hr Showroom Showdown Qualifying #1
09.40 - 09.55 - 15 min Entertainment Session
10.00 - 11.30 - Q3 - 90 min Bathurst 24hr Qualifying #1
11.45 - 12.30 - 45 min Lunch
12.30 - Bathurst 24hr and 2hr Showroom Showdown Photo Session
12.45 - 13.05 - Q4 - 20 min Australian Porsche Drivers Challenge Qualifying
13.20 - 13.50 - Q5 - 30 min V8 BRutes Qualifying #2
14.05 - 14.35 - Q6 - 30 min 2hr Showroom Showdown Qualifying #2
14.55 - 15.15 - R1 - 7 laps Australian Porsche Drivers Challenge Race #1
15.25 - 15.40 - 15 min Entertainment Session
15.50 - 16.10 - R2 - 7 laps V8 BRutes Race #1 (Driver 1)
16.25 - 17.10 - 45 min Break
17.25 - 18.55 - Q7 - 90 min Bathurst 24hr Qualifying #2
19.15 - 19.35 - R3 - 7 laps V8 BRutes Race #2 Reverse Grid (Driver 2)
19.50 - 20.35 - 45 min Dinner
20.50 - 21.50 - Q8 - 60 min Bathurst 24hr Qualifying #3 (Night session)

Saturday 22nd November
07.25 - 07.45 - R4 - 7 laps Australian Porsche Drivers Challenge Race #2
08.00 - 08.15 - 15 min Bathurst 24hr Warm-up
08.35 - 10.35 - R5 - 120 min 2hr Showroom Showdown Race
10.55 - 11.25 - R6 - 10 laps V8 BRutes Race #3
11.40 - 12.30 - Lunch
12.45 - 13.20 - Pre Race Activities (Sponsor rides & Donut King Stunt Riders (full circuit laps) / Holden Storm Riders Stunt Team (main straight only)
13.30 - Pit Exit Opens
14:00 - R7 - Bathurst 24hr Race (preceeded by 1 x Warm-up Lap)

Sunday 23rd November
14:00 - Race finish

#4 ·
FalKeen said:
you guys looking at spending the whole 3 days there?
Slothy & Myself are definately going up Friday (leave Sydney mid-morning). We'll be meeting DK and (I think) Mother Nature up there Friday arvo.

I'm sure others wil be going up on Friday as well, just haven't got official confirmations yet. But a few of need to go Friday to start setting up all the area we want.

#10 ·
Bluedriver said:
I'll be coming up sparrows time Saturday morn, cheez that means leaving Sydney around 5am ...........
Anyone interested in in a dawn convoy to the mountain let me know............
Maurice,

Yeah i'll be down for the saturday haul/burn up the mountains. I'll meet you up at Lawson Shell if you want. I'm sure we'll get to bathurst in record pace driving XR style. :s6: :s6:

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bathurst 24hr Attendance Confirmations

I’m making this separate thread just for the attendance confirmations for the 24hr.

I’ll keep it closed, so please keep posting all your comments in the other thread, then I’ll add your names to the list here so everyone can get an idea of who’s going for how long at a quick glance (with approx departure times in brackets), and not have to wade through our usual 7 pages of chatter before the event even starts.

Cheers
JR

FRIDAY / SATURDAY / SUNDAY
Donut King (local)
Mother Nature + 1 (ex MBFNW)
SM + 2/3(local blow-ins)

EX SYDNEY
JR (Thursday night)
Zantetsuken (Thursday night)
XR6HP01 (morning)
DC Todd + 1 (morning)

EX MELBOURNE
Tickford2001 + 1 (early)
Pearly (early)
xdc351 (early)

SATURDAY / SUNDAY
EX SYDNEY
Strider (early morning)
Bluedriver + 1 (early morning)
B1-B (early morning)
Darkhorse (early morning)
Slothy (early morning)
Blurter & Sticky Date (morning)
er88 (unknown)

#13 ·
the pulseless has left the building :edit:

i will be making myself known to bx with my loud holy zorst, my new rims, doof doof unce unce crackle stereo and flat battery :angel:

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!!!!!!!!!!!

:AAHHH:

#15 ·
TOMRROW, im leaving TOMRROW!!!!!!!!

do you reckon i could make it for Australian Ford Idol?

So far (80%) im leaving 3-4pm friday arvo straight after work. will confirm exctly time as we approach 1 month to go... if worst comes to worst, ill have to drive up sat morning, but that seems unlikely, ill drive up @6pm after work if need be, i want to have a destress friday night in bx!

better hold them bx chicks back!

danny :fly:

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I finally found a map of all the camping areas on the V8Supercar1000 website, so here is the McPhillamy Park one.

While this is the new 2003 layout for the 1000, I'm presuming as these are surveyed and council approved plans that the campsite layout remains the same for any event that utilizes the camping facilities from now on...

DK Edit: Circled proposed camping grounds in red

#17 · (Edited)
With regard to getting spots in the camping grounds, I've checked back through the old thread in OTR to find out who so far has definately said they are going and who is saying the are thinking about it.

DEFINATELY GOING
Donut King
3Toed
JR
Darkhorse
XR_Strider_Guy
Blurter / Sticky Date
XR6HP01
Mother Nature
Bluedriver
Dannys_Q
Tickford2001
XDC351
SM

STILL THINKING ABOUT IT
Ghia EB
Pearly
RPO83
AusXH
Bertman EA_S
Mikeeman_AUXR6
Stevefpvgt

Based on those sort of numbers (with 12 confirmed starters already), we're probably looking at getting 20+ campsites, so I'm going to call the event organisers in the next week to see what we can do about pre-booking a single area for us as a FordForums group if possible.

The website says they won't take pre-bookings for the McPhillamy campground (meaning first in best dressed), but I'll see what I can do.

Could everyone please reconfim ASAP in this thread that they will be going and if they're coming up for Fri/Sat/Sun or just Sat/Sun.

#19 ·
Reconfirming that I'll be in for Fri/Sat/Sun. :s6:

#20 ·
Donut King said:
20 campsites is a bit extreme considering the size (10 by 8m wasn't it) ?
Yes, quite probably, but if I work from the high number then revise down as needed I don't get caught short when figuring costs and such.

Remember as well as the 15-20 cars we have to park within the sites, we also have to set up Hospitality Base (2 3x3 metre cheapy shade houses were purchased from SuperCheap Autos to aide with that last night), and a few people will also have tents they may want to set up instead of sleeping in their cars. And we can't jam all the cars tightly together in case people do need access for sleeping and if they need to drive into Bathurst for anything.

Just trying to overplan and be safe, not underplan and be caught short.

#24 ·
Bluedriver said:
I'll be coming up sparrows time Saturday morn, cheez that means leaving Sydney around 5am ...........
Anyone interested in in a dawn convoy to the mountain let me know............

Yep.
Where do you wish to meet up?

#25 ·
At this stage its xr8_mate & myself ....... I'm tryin to get bob65 to come along ...so were a definate 2 possibly 3 ;)
If need be to secure sites we can be there Thursday ....huge advertisaing up here today thru 'the' race .....Adam Brand is booked for a concert ....so I think it will be a huge country bash

:fairy

#26 ·
Good one B-1B, I'd say the usual Shell on the M4 is the go, I think there's a good chance Blurter and the Date may join us as well.
Strider is going to hook up with us once we get to the Shell at Lawson.
Looking forward to this, should be a laugh of a weekend...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.