1987 Tempo Stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2003, 17:36   #1 (permalink)
Kentuckyfried

frown 1987 Tempo Stalling

This is my first attempt at posting a message in this forum. The subject is stalling, and I'm aware that this model has had problems. I have been to seven (7) Ford garages and none (0) of them could find the problem.
When it runs, it runs great, however any time any where, it will stop.
This is a 4 cylinder fuel injected automatic transmission car. I have replaced the following items...Vaccum hose to MAPP sensor, alternator, oxygen sensor, aircharge sensor, MAPP sensor, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, throttle position sensor, idle position motor, distributor, Computer, and spark plugs. The OBD does not read any defects, I can't even get it to read anything.
The shut down starts with a loss of power, nd the car will not hold a constant speed. The car has 80K miles and has been doing this for several years now. I cant spend much more money without solving the problem.
I'm sure some of you have had similar problems, and with luck have been able to fix them. So anyone with helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Please be constructive, and save the trade it in for a --- comments for someone else. I'm retired on SSI and need this transportation very badly. Thanks, I'm Kentuckyfried.

Last edited by Kentuckyfried; 08-15-2003 at 17:39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2003, 22:40   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 1987 Tempo Stalling

The 87 Tempo's have ignition modules mounted on the distributor. When its temperature goes above 257 degrees Fahrenheit, the module is likely to cut out and cause the vehicle to die on the road or stall. When the vehicle cools down, it can be restarted and will run until it again exceeds the design temperature.

This is a hard problem to diagnose because by the time the vehicle gets towed to the dealer or sits in the shop waiting for repair, it has cooled down and no cause can be found for the stalling.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:15   #3 (permalink)

I've had several in my garage over the last few years with the same problem. In all cases it was either due to the fuel filter, fuel pump, and the the TFI module. Mostly, it was the fuel pump, but I'd recommended proceeding from the cheapest solution to the more expensive, i.e., filter, module, and then pump.

Testing the pump for pump pressure will not help in these cases, as the failure mode is an intermittent binding of the pump's rotor caused mainly due to poor sinstering of pump's rotating components.

Hope this helps.
Oldluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 16:03   #4 (permalink)

biggrin Re: 1987 Tempo Stalling

[I]have you checked the cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyfried
This is my first attempt at posting a message in this forum. The subject is stalling, and I'm aware that this model has had problems. I have been to seven (7) Ford garages and none (0) of them could find the problem.
This is a 4 cylinder fuel injected automatic transmission car. I have replaced the following items...Vaccum hose to MAPP sensor, alternator, oxygen sensor, aircharge sensor, MAPP sensor, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, throttle position sensor, idle position motor, distributor, Computer, and spark plugs. The OBD does not read any defects, I can't even get it to read anything.
The shut down starts with a loss of power, nd the car will not hold a constant speed. The car has 80K miles and has been doing this for several years now. I cant spend much more money without solving the problem.
I'm sure some of you have had similar problems, and with luck have been able to fix them. So anyone with helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Please be constructive, and save the trade it in for a --- comments for someone else. I'm retired on SSI and need this transportation very badly. Thanks, I'm Kentuckyfried.
jimmetko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 16:09   #5 (permalink)

have you had the catalytic converter checked when it gets plugged it will make ford tempo run like shit and not even want to idle and really slow to build up speed if you can keep it running by feathering the gas. Had same trouble with 90 ford tempo gl.
Old 10-07-2005, 16:11   #6 (permalink)

Smile Re: 1987 Tempo Stalling

have you had the catalytic converter checked when it gets plugged it will make ford tempo run like shit and not even want to idle and really slow to build up speed if you can keep it running by feathering the gas. Had same trouble with 90 ford tempo gl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyfried
Old 10-07-2005, 19:32   #7 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Welcome to the troubles of the Tempo/Topaz. Have had same problem of stalling. This is mostly on a long hill going up a mountain pass. It just cuts out, so I pull over to the side of the road and wait about 10-15 minutes and away it goes again. I also tried starting right away and it starts then dies....as if it was a vapor lock....now on this forum I've heard just about everything and even done some research myself on the internet. I see a lot of people out there have replaced everything (like you also have done) and it still hasn't corrected the problem. I do believe its the design fault in the TFI (Thick Film Ignition module) mounted on the side of the distributor unable to handle the heat, yet the engine itself does not overheat. Most times when mine stalled it was in warm weather. Another odd ball is its always happened when the fuel tank is over the half full mark. Yet It will run forever on the 100 mile freeway without missing a beat. Just can't figure it out. Sure would be nice if someone out there could pinpoint the problem for all of us.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 22:26   #8 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

its pissing me off 2 i just got home like 10 minuts ago, turned my 93 off opened garage it wouldent start, ive got the ignition mounted away from the dist, and my car idles at 165F if not reved, ive put lots of $ and it stil happens so i think i can iliminate the temp problem to a point on the newer 1's but heres what i have to contunaly "do take otu the output on the fuel filter-to fuel rail, drain it and blow it free, reconect cept today that didnt start it so i ran a lil piece of tube between the 2 hoses just enuf to get it in the garage, started right up after fp pressurized on maybe the 3rd or 4th revolution! but i was cranking 4 evert and nothing witht the filter,
tomorow im gona get a fuel line bridge thingy "w/e there called" and 2 fuel filters" ill let u know about if it fixes it. this is my 5th fuel filter by the way in the last year

btw homeboy was saying sumthing about the gas tanks not being vented right and i think hes right, in an earlier post
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum