1987 Topaz, what to expect? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2003, 22:49   #1 (permalink)
mobilus

1987 Topaz, what to expect?

I am about ready to inherit a '87 Topaz. 105K miles. New tranny and alternator. What's the market value?

What should I expect from it? I heard later 80's Tempos had terrible reliability issues, especially with front end ball joints, CV boots.

I had a '93 Tempo, and was rather pleased with it. No real issues.

Last edited by mobilus; 09-07-2003 at 22:52.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 05:23   #2 (permalink)

You were told correctly, but luckily the tranny was one of the issue's. The other's were cracking head's on the 4cyl. ( you didn't state which engine ) power window motor's burning out, overly sensitive "MAP" sensor's ( making driving into other altitude's rough ) Transmission shift cable stretch issue. I'm sure there are other's that slip my mind, but if the car has a good service record you've got a pretty good car for the money.
http://fordexp.freehomepage.com/photo3.html
big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:00   #3 (permalink)
mobilus

I don't know which 4-cylinder engine it has, I thought there was just one. I think it is the base one.

The tranny is factory new.

I can drive this thing into the ground and not really worry about reliability that much. I troubleshoot a lot of issues myself on cars, unless part swapping involves crawling under it.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:24   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 1987 Topaz, what to expect?

Just run it like you stole it. Heheh. Actually you should not have to worry much with the tranny being fresh. That is a major issue with these cars. Check the heads for any sign of leaks.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum