1989 Tempo, died, won't start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 13:53   #1 (permalink)

1989 Tempo, died, won't start

I was sitting at a stop light and the car just died! No sputtering or anything, just shut off instantly like I turned off the key. It now cranks but doesn't fire at all. Also, I noticed the brakes are really hard to press when trying to start it, like the car is just off, normally when you go to start it the brake pedal goes down like it's on, I hope that makes sense. I am thinking it must be a fuse or relay or something electrical.. Any advice? Please help, desperate to get this car running again! Thanks!!!

Edit: I was initially thinking fuel problem, but it's getting gas.. I checked and it looks like there is no spark! What would make it suddenly have no spark? BTW, the distributor is new..
bigjohn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1989 Tempo, died, won't start

Did you check for spark at the plugs, or the coil wire? How do you know it's getting gas? Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when the key is turned to run?
Old 05-18-2013, 17:52   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

First check, pull the distributor cap and see if it turns when you crank the engine, you may have a broken timing belt.
Old 05-18-2013, 19:49   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I can hear the fuel pump, plus, I pulled off the fuel filter to see if it might be clogged and when the filter was off I turned the key real quick and fuel shot out the hose (a lot faster than I expected, LOL!)... Yes, I pulled the cap and it is turning inside, so timing belt didn't break... I'm not getting spark at the plug, how do I check it at the coil???
Old 05-18-2013, 20:50   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Pull the wire that goes to the center of the distributor cap and see if it sparks there. Also, see if the coil has power at one terminal with the key on.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:12   #6 (permalink)
Always the student

No spark, I would suspect the ignition module
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:30   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
No spark, I would suspect the ignition module
That'd be my guess.
Old 05-21-2013, 15:50   #8 (permalink)

Replaced the ignition module, and it fired! YESSIRREE! I was so happy! For about 2 seconds... :(

Now it sputters and has no power.. Even with the gas pedal all the way down it doesn't really rev up. It slowly goes up to about 3k rpms, and that's it.. And it barely idles with my foot off the gas.. I tried driving it and there's no power, couldn't go faster than 5 mph and it died halfway down the block, restarted and made it back to the driveway.. What happened? Did I screw up the timing? How can I fix it? Thanks again for all the help!
Old 05-21-2013, 16:50   #9 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I'd check with a timing light. I think that one has the module on the distributor, did you pull the distributor when you replaced it, or just turn it?
Old 05-21-2013, 16:54   #10 (permalink)

I had to pull th whole distributor out to see how to get the ignition module off.. I made some marks to realign it, but somehow I think I screwed it up because it seemed like my marks just would not line up right when I was putting it back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum