Ford Forums banner

1990 Tempo, Starts, but doesn't run

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Chupa517 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 Ford Tempo 2.3L 4 Cyl. w/ automatic. I just had trouble today with it for the first time. Went out to the car and it started, turned over and everything, but as soon as letting go of the key, it would die. Had a friend look at it and help me get it home. looking around with the coil and distributor, found a plug going into the coil was cracked a little bit, and we guessed a voltage wire wasn't getting a good connection into the coil. So we got it started a few times, but like 2 minutes after getting it going and driving, it would die again. Finally, it wouldn't start again, so we unplugged the throttle sensor. Also, there's a little disc like part a little bit away from the battery that has wires going to it that connect the positive battery terminal and wires from the ignition. As soon as we turned the key now, we had to take a wire off that disengages the starter, and it would idle fine. Now this part baffles me. It would idle just fine, but as soon as we would put it into gear, Drive, Reverse, Anything except for neutral and park, it would die again. Got it goin a couple times with the throttle sensor unplugged and the starter disengaged, but still dies after a minute. Anybody have any idea or any suggestion that i could try and test out?.... the putting it in gear and it dieing just baffles me. Any help would be appreciated. So far had suggestions about maybe the coil or the plugs, of course already going to replace those, but also possibly an ignition switch, any help is very much appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would stick with the coils first. Especially with one that is cracked you should replace it. The simplest things are usually what is wrong with it.

Of course after that if you are still having issues with it then you may want to look at replacing the throttle sensor.

#3 ·
replacing the throttle sensor isnt a necessity to replace, its just something that we unplugged to see if it would help it start or stay idle. im going to replace the plug that goes into the coil since its cracked but if that doesnt work what else should i try? also we have to disengage the starter in order to keep it running. so there has to be something wrong with the ignition, or between the ignition and the starter. appreciate the advice, and that's the way i troubleshoot everytime, cheapest/simplest things first. But if that plug doesn't fix it or at least help, it'll prolly be the coil or something. Any other info is appreciated :). Thanks.

#4 ·
Well thanks for that one reply lol. Had car taken into shop and they found out the ignition switch went, and they're replacing the neutral switch on the tranny too. So those of you out there with a tempo and have the same problem, there ya go lol. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.