1990 Topaz HIGH Idle/Help Identify this part! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 18:52   #1 (permalink)

1990 Topaz HIGH Idle/Help Identify this part!

Basically, i have a 1990 Ford Mercury Topaz GS 4 Door 2.3L (Shitty i know) But im trying to get this car running to be my daily driver since i have no car as of right now, but im having some problems.
Basically, its idling crazy high (3000 to 4000rpms) and i cant figure out what the problem is. I have checked all the hoses to make sure everything was good, ignition's good, throttle cable is fine, a little stick but it wouldnt make it idle that high.
Basically it has come down to the Throttle Position Sensor, which have been recalled on this model, but its been replaced already, so i dont think it is this.
So, i followed some hoses to this part i need help with. There are 2 hoses going to it, and to electrical wires to it.
The green hose that is going to it is barely giving any vacuum at all, but the red on the other hand is perfect (i checked to make sure it wasnt the hoses by blowing through them)
so it has to be this part that they are plugged into, now ive done some research and i THINK this part is called the "Idle Air Control Valve."
But i cant find any online that looks like mine, and im almost positive thats what it is because i bypassed the hoses with out it being contected this and it Idles down, but not where it should be.

Here are pictures to "the part" i was talking about, cant figure it out!

(It is located right next to the brake master cylinder on the drivers side)

(This is the 2 hoses that go into it, and the 2 electrical wires that go to it, and it disconnected with the mounting bracket on)

(Both shots with mounting bracket on)

(again)

(And finally with the mounting bracket off)

Some of those pictures show a cap on top, and some of them dont. It just pops right off showing the valve inside.
Im probably being extremely retarded, and just cant think of what this is, but i took it to the local parts store and no one had it.
Basically i need to know what that part it, since its not previding enough vacuum through the green hose, but it is in the red one.
And any other suggestions as to what the idling problem could be?
Im not a Guinness at cars, but i know a little bit, im just at a total loss with this one.

Picture of car...(not mine, but same one)

Any info would be great guys, cause right now im at a total loss,
and please, keep your ignorant remarks to yourself.

:dunno:
MichaelShreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 09:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1990 Topaz HIGH Idle/Help Identify this part!

Yes tha ol Idle Air Control Valve, I never seen, That kind of one, Yes that would cause youre high idle issue, I know those are pretty pricey units, Ive had to replace a few on my 88 tempo, I would try and get one from the wrecking yard if possible. Even that local auto parts store should have one.
e40water12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 22:29   #3 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 1990 Topaz HIGH Idle/Help Identify this part!

That's the EGR valve vacuum regulator solenoid. You will have Vacuum on one side, and limited to no vacuum on the other side. I'd clean that throttle body first to make sure it's working freely. If you have cruise control make sure the cruise cable isn't pulling the throttle open. If it is, disconnect and plug the vacuum lines going to the cruise servo. The engine should not race now. Let me know what you get.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 20:15   #4 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage
Re: 1990 Topaz HIGH Idle/Help Identify this part!

the idle air control valve is located on side of the throttl body unit where butterfly is located... what you have a picture of deals with EGR and smog stuff... the IAC has 2 bolts holding it in place and pair of wires that plug into the bottom of it... kinda looks like a silver cylinder bolted sideways to the throttlebody with plug on bottom. double check your PCV hose and make sure it is connected and not sucking air. your issue sounds like a vacuum leak to me...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum