Originally Posted by liltister
Why is my 1991 Tempo using so much gas? I only got 130 miles to a tank and I know it should get at least 300-400 miles....It's also idling real high but mechanic said that shouldn't have anything to do with it...as far as the idling, the mechanic said there was several things bad and would take $400.00 just in parts to fix it....I'm not ready to spend that much more on it right now.....Can anyone help about the gas mileage?
Hello and good day to you:
Poor gas mileage can be caused by a variety of things....
1. Have you ever changed the Gas Filter???
2. Have you ever change the Air Filter??
3. Have you ever put a good "Fuel injector Cleaner" into your tank??
4. Have you ever had a "Tune up" done???
5. You may want to Clean the "Throttle Body" with a Throttle cleaner not a Carb Cleaner.
As far as the idling it could be other variety of problems....anything from a MAS...TO A...TPS..(sorry Mass Air Sensor...Throttle Positioning Sensor)
May I also ask...do you have a CEL (check engine light) on??
Rule of Thumb.....Start with the Cheapest Fix working to the Most Expensive. I believe I listed them in order, as noted above.
Good luck and Good Repairing: