1992 mercury topaz - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 15:04   #1 (permalink)

1992 mercury topaz

Ok I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas on my wifes car, we own a 4 cyl 92 topaz automatic, the problem we are having is when i hit the gas to accelerator it seems to idle high, and stick in gear, i have to stomp on the gas to get it to shift down and/or to stop idling high. Now I've noticed that when i brake, it will jerk into a lower gear, its not smooth at all. Sometimes it will idle in park and go up to 1500rpm or there abouts and back down, up and own up and dowm, its kinda of theraputic to watch :)

Thanks for any advice you might have
mrwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2004, 09:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1992 mercury topaz

I've got a question for ya. Have you put a code reader on it to see what codes went off in the computer? That way you may have a better idea of what is wrong. That would be the first thing I would do just to see what you might get.
junkyard68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:57   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

If you dont have a code scanner or dont want to go to the dealer to pay them. You can go to Autozone and they will scan your car for you for free and tell you what the codes mean.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 18:04   #4 (permalink)

Does the 92 topaz have a data port for a code reader? if so, where can I locate it? I too am having problems with mine..
Can't get the coolant fan to turn on when engine gets warm.
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47   #5 (permalink)

Since it's an auto, check the T.V. (throttle valve) link from the throttle body to the trans. It controls up/downshifting, and often gets rusted and seizes up.

It goes from the throttle linkage straight down to the trans, most easily seen with the airbox removed. Spray it with some P.B. Blaster (WD40 is a joke) and work it in.

There is an adjudtment procedure for it, if lubricating doesn't help. Autozone's website may have it listed.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbledor View Post
Does the 92 topaz have a data port for a code reader? if so, where can I locate it? I too am having problems with mine..
Can't get the coolant fan to turn on when engine gets warm.
The data port should be on or near the passenger-side strut tower; it may have a cover snapped on it, and may be tucked down behind or next to the strut tower.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum