1993 tempo, 4 cylinders, engine stalled - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2004, 10:51   #1 (permalink)

frown 1993 tempo, 4 cylinders, engine stalled

the car's engine intended to stall yesterday when I was driving at 40km/h. And finally it recovered by my lasting steping on the gas pedal. what is more, the car once stalled two times when waiting for traffice lights with engine idling. And right now, it occasionally lost power for 1 or 2 seconds when driving.
I do not think it is a spark plugs problem because last time when plugs were fouled, the car costed much more gas than ever, but this time, it sounds ok.
does anybody know what possible problem it is? thanks.
nappingrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 06:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1993 tempo, 4 cylinders, engine stalled

Bringing up an old post, my gf's car is now doing this too. I added fuel system cleaner to the car and it stopped it from hesitating and it sounds like a healthy engine. There is just this one problem. If at all anyone could reply if a possible answer I would appreciate it. She has the 2.3 liter 4cylinder if this helps.
92mercuryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 21:24   #3 (permalink)

Check your battery voltage and contacts. Check the spark at spark plugs. CLEAN ALL links/contacts on battery, distributor, alternator, etc. Also check and CLEAN ALL ground contacts. The best tool for this is a battery terminal cleaner brush. If this will not help, then my guess is:
- It might be a fuel pump malfunction. Also, if fuel filter wasn't ever changed before - do it now (probably ~ $5.-10.). It's located on passenger side of engine compartment, on the sidewall, near coolant container.
I had this before, and car hesitated especially when engine was getting hot. Had to alternatively press clutch and gas to keep it going, and it did stalled sometimes anyway. End up changing fuel pump and no more problem, well... at least this one... Car mechanics can check it by attaching testing unit to wire harness, and by measuring fuel pressure.

If the car would stall to no awail, once and for all, and battery, starter would be ok - cranking, but not firing, than more than likely problem would be - ignition module. located under distributor, requires special tool to take off.
Yes had that before too... Diagnosed problem myself, and had extra ignition module, but no special tool... So, towing + 5 minute mechanical work = $100. (now I have that tool, and another extra module).
Good luck!
Fordunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 22:09   #4 (permalink)

Also, check the coil. It's mounted on the block and is subject to being a heat sink. After 10+ years it can start to fail when it gets warm.

It's a $10 part that's simple to change.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 17:31   #5 (permalink)
The Green Kind

Some times car just stall for no reason though. This mustang I test drove (auto) stalled on me a coupple times right when i got into it i guess i just wasn't giving it enough gas or somthing. Its probobley just something little if it is anything. I belive that autozone gives free digonostics too? mabey I am wrong.

Grass
Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum