2 Engine Codes - What to do next - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 12:30   #1 (permalink)
silverrx7

2 Engine Codes - What to do next

Hey guys - I need some help

I have 2 engine codes on my 1990 Ford Tempo:

31: Canister or EGR valve control system
For this, I have swapped the actual EGR valve and the remotely located black cylindrical plastic control solenoid with the 2 vacuum lines coming into it(I think thats what it is) with known good components. The Engine light still came on(see below for conditions)

95: Fuel Pump Circuit Problem
I presume this is directly related to an electrical connection to the fuel pump. Anyways, I replaced the fuel filter with no success(since it needed to be replaced anyways and I thought reseting the fuel system may help).

Considering there are 2 codes, it is difficult to troubleshoot since the performance symptoms can be similar. The check engine light comes on after the engine warms up somewhat, but more specifically when I have decelerated from a constant speed(and therefore the rpms lower). The check engine light always comes on everytime I drive, usually after the first decel. The fuel pump seems to whine louder than normal, but Im unsure what normal is.

Any help on a step-by-step way to approach this in order to minimize dealer visits?

Thanks alot!!

Chris(silverz777@hotmail.com)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 10:49   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 2 Engine Codes - What to do next

Silly question. Have you cleared the codes after the repairs. I know it is stupid to ask, but some people forget.

On the code 95 have you replaced the Fuel pump? That error indicates that you possibly have a bad fuel pump, fuel pump ground or an open between the fuel pump and pin 8 at PCM Fuel Pump Monitor signal.

Something that you may want to look at also is the multi-function module under the hood. It is ablack box with a ton of wires in it and controls the fuel pump, power, cooling fan, and compressor relays, in addition to other controls. I have heard that in some cases the wire from the multi-function to the fuel pump getting punctured by a body bolt. This is a pain in the arse to fix. You will have to pull your carpet, seats and everything to access the loom it runs in just to check.

Just so you know also there was a TSB covering this as well. RSB89170 NOV 89 Fuel Pump/Sender - Defective Parts Return

This affected the 1990 vehicles as well.

Just a little bit of info for you. Hope that it is of some help.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum