Ford Forums banner

86 Tempo - Floods and stalls after warming up.

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  HanSoloWS6 
#1 ·
I have an 86 Tempo GL with a 2.3 and auto and I have a problem I really need to cure. Other than it's little bugs, it's a good car, except for the flooding and stalling.

What happens is when I can get it to start, it will run for about 5-15 minutes fine and strong. Then after it warms up or the idle kicks down, the injector starts pouring fuel and floods the car. Then I have to wait about an hour or so then it'll start and run again. . . sometimes. When it floods it will stay running at very low RMP with it floored and will sometimes come back. But it usually just dies.

I checked the codes and all I got was a 31 and 67. 67 is unimportant right now since it's intermitant. And 31 is an EGR code, in a nutshell. I disconnected the harness to the EGR, and it seemed to run a little longer, but then it went back to flooding.

I'm hoping someone can inform me as to how I can fix the problem, at least long enough to sell it, or tell the guy that's looking at it what needs to be fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.