88 ford tempo overheats when warm out....fans dont turn on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 16:06   #1 (permalink)

88 ford tempo overheats when warm out....fans dont turn on

My tempo is running fine now (<45* F) but once it gets to be spring and warmer out the car overheats when I sit in traffic for long periods of time but is fine going down the highway. The fans arnt turning on. I checked the fuse and its fine. What else could it be?
chevanater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 14:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: 88 ford tempo overheats when warm out....fans dont turn on

i think there is 2 temp sensors on the thermostat housing, one is engine temp and one is for the fan i believe thats where id look first.
jefferias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:35   #3 (permalink)

On my '93 the fan itself was shot. For some reason the real part was a fortune where ever I called. Replaced it with an aftermarket for about $80. Cut out the center of the shroud and bolted the after market in. Looks and works ok, but not as well as the original did.
gary__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

I had the same problem, and it was the fan controller. Fan would go on, but not consistently. Expensive! The part alone cost me 250.....probably could have found one refurbished, but didn't have the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum