90 Tempo stalling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2005, 18:25   #1 (permalink)

90 Tempo stalling

I've been reading these forums for a while but this is my first post. I have a 1990 Tempo 2.3 with about 230 000 kms on it that I bought 2 months ago. It ran fine until the last couple of weeks. It stalls with no warning at all, no shaking or sputtering or anything. It happens hot or cold, idling or driving. I haven't been able to find out if it had the TFI module replaced yet or not. I'll take it to a dealer tomorrow to ask about that. There's a sticker saying the Throttle Position Sensor's been replaced after a recall on that. I've replaced the spark plugs, ignition coil and fuel filter. The plug wires are in good condition and give the correct resistance. The distributor cap and rotor are clean and good. The fuel pump seems to be good. There don't seem to be any vacuum leaks. The fuel injectors are making their happy clicking noise. I've poured a bottle of injector cleaner into the fuel hoping that'll help. Auto Value won't check the engine codes because the check engine light's not on. I had an old truck before this that was much simpler to work on. I'm great at replacing parts but lousy at diagnosing things. I'd appreciate any ideas at all. Thanks.
musicdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 08:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 90 Tempo stalling

Just an update. AutoValue scanned the engine and there were no codes so it looks like this isn't sensor or computer related.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:26   #3 (permalink)

Sorry about all the replies. I know there's a way to edit my posts but I can't find it right now.
I took the ignition control module into Autovalue to test and it passed everything. I'm running out of ideas here. Would a fuel pump fail intermittently like this? Injectors maybe?
Old 02-06-2005, 04:22   #4 (permalink)

Personally, i would go with the simplest/cheapest things first. Check spark, make sure no spark plugs are loose or anything, check for vacuum leaks or anything. Could be the injectors though too. From what i've heard, injectors in Tempo's can get clogged easily or tend to screw up pretty easily.
Chupa517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 17:14   #5 (permalink)

Make sure you don't have any loose grounds and that the coil wire is in good condition and attached securely. Fuel pumps don't USUALLY intermitently fail. They usually just quit, period. Even though it doesn't sputter, replace the fuel filter. It's not sensor related if you're not getting any SES lights or stored codes. You're either losing spark or losing fuel.
T/T Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum