91 Topaz Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2005, 13:22   #1 (permalink)

Question 91 Topaz Problems

If the starter went bad would that cause the battery to drain as soon as you took the jumper cables off?

The car starts fine (when being jumped) but soon as you take the cables off the car the interior lights go DIMM rapidly and the car dies.

I know that the starter is bad, would the starter cause this problem?

any other suggestions?
veach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2005, 10:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 91 Topaz Problems

I'd look into the alternator first.

If it were me, I'd take the battery to somewhere like advanced or autozone and have them test it (even tho it is probably good) and fully charge it.

Try to start it and see how long it runs.

Next the alternator can be tested on or off the car. I would put money on a bad alternator and a drained battery.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 18:49   #3 (permalink)

Yea, it does sound like the alt. but just incase also check your battery cables, and all of the ground wires.
Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 15:40   #4 (permalink)

I had an identical problem mine turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. These can give you fits. When you take it in to auto zone or advance auto or another parts house to get it tested it will show that it is good, then once you run it for a while and the battery gets warm it will not hold a charge. A quick way to isolate it is to start the car and while it is running remove the positive battery cable. If the vehicle stays running the alternator is good, if it quits the alternator or wiring is bad. A word of warning, this test can be hard on the computer, so don't run it more than a couple of times.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum