92 Ford Tempo Clicking sound when stopped - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 06:43   #1 (permalink)

frown 92 Ford Tempo Clicking sound when stopped

When I come to a stop, there is a quick clicking sound coming from under the hood. After looking, the sound seems to be coming from the left side (looking from the front of the car) where the belt is. I am not sure if it is a loose belt or the piston on the left side is going bad. When I open the oil cover, the sound does not sound louder which I would expect if it was the piston. The sound is also made when in Park but not when I speed up , oh, around 15-20 mph+
Tweaked700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 08:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: 92 Ford Tempo Clicking sound when stopped

This reminds me of my harmonic balancer problem.
Does anybody know what makes these things go? Is this a common Tempo problem?

I had mine replaced at a shop for about $400. I got a new timing chain set in while he was at it. I noticed though that there's still kind of a buzzing noise now coming from the vehicle's frame when the car is standing/idling but nothing like the racket it used to make.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:55   #3 (permalink)

There was a...don't know if I want to call it a recall, but something like that for my '93. I think it was just to inspect and replace if needed. I didn't do it and mine went bad several years later. Tried to get Ford to at least spring for the part since they new it wasn't the greatest. They wouldn't do it. grrrrrr
gary__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 15:20   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

That sound could be anything from a leaky gasket to a HB to a timing chain. What i find odd is that you say you hear it when coming to a stop. Is it heard when driving at a steady RPM? It would or should get louder when you open the hood, unless this is an exhaust leak under the car itself.

Have you had the car in for any TSB work done, recalls or anything of the like? Also understand that this is a 12 yo car now and more problems are going to arise from them than when they were newer.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 22:46   #5 (permalink)
SoB

ok, I have a buddy with the exact same problem

clackety noise coming from the left side of the engine....

it goes away when you hit 1100 RPM....

harmonic balancer?

how hard would it be for me to replace... never having worked on a tempo before....

I could probably get a used one...
SoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 23:40   #6 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

replacing the HB is not an easy task. You can do it by either pulling the whole engine or you can drop it partially to gain clearance. It is a b*tch from what I am told. I have not had to replace one myself
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 16:08   #7 (permalink)
SoB

Ok, alternative then is to adjust the idle speed using the idle screw....

where might I find that.... ( i know this is hokey )
SoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:09   #8 (permalink)

wow, I thought I would check the internet for answers to a car problem and bingo, someone has the same issue I am having....
My daughter has the exact same car and problem. 92 Tempo 4 banger, auto. I have changed the water pump, belt, tensioner and pulley, idler pulley. The same noise is there. When at idle little noise, shift to drive and the noise gets louder, rev it a bit and the noise gets quieter. I took off the belt and started it and it is as quiet as a church mouse even in gear. The HB id nice a tight, no slack at all. The car has a timing belt so I don't think it could be that. Can any body help or have ideas? Thanks for any input.

Eric
nowhereman@backpacker.com
ru4gbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:23   #9 (permalink)

After reading a few post, it seems like my next move is to take off the motor mounts and drop the engine enough to change the dang HB. Oh Happy day!

Eric
Old 06-06-2004, 21:34   #10 (permalink)

Update:
Problem solved and what a task it was. Thx to Tweaked700 for confirming that his problem was the harmonic balancer and thx to all the info on this forum.

My fix...
insert a 1/2 inch drive ratchet in the square hole in the tensioner and rotate it up, (if you don't have the belt drawing, better get one or draw one now)remove the belt , jack up the motor just a bit to relieve weight on the motor mount, remove the 2 top bolts and 1 bolt(14mm) from the under side of the right (passenger side) motor mount, now lower the motor about 3 inches (this is all I could get), remove the right tire. At this point I could see half of the harmomnic balancer, but not enough to remove the center bolt. I then used my air compressor and air chisel to cut a 4x4 square out of the fender well, now I had almost complete access to the HB, now I used my impact to remove the 22mm center bolt, the HB basically fell apart, I went to my local parts house and picked up a HB for 84.00 and change, I couldn't get the HB back in so I used a pry bar to move the motor to the left (drivers side) about an inch (this gave me just enought room) and slipped in a 1 by 2 board to hold it, now I was able to slip the new HB up and onto the crank (make sure to put a little clean oil all around the collar of the new HB so it will lub the crank seal as you slide on the HB) and screw in the new 21mm center bolt, tighten to about 120lbs. Now I used visecrips to hold the cut out piece back in place and used my tig to weld it back in like new, ground it smooth and painted the patch, put the tire on and remove 1x2 board, lower motor back into place and replace the 3 14mm bolts, put the belt back on using the 1/2 inch drive again, pull the coil wire and turn the motor over a few times to let the belt track, plug the coil back in and fire it up, BINGO!!! noise is gone and it purrs like a kitten, plus my daughter is very very happy.

Thanks alot,
Eric
83 HD Super Glide FXR
76 Jeep CJ5 258
72 F100 4x4 390
70 Chevelle SS 400
can never have too many toys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum