Ford Forums banner

92 mercury topaz tilt steering problem

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bumbledor 
#1 · (Edited)
ya know, when these older cars start going, they just start going, one problem after another. Well now I have 3.

Not only do do I have the gear shift/transmission problem, today while working on it, I adjusted the tilt stearing and it broke. Just started flopping there..

Anyone know where I can find a diagram of this?

And can someone please tell me how to replace it?

Guys, im up in michigan where the economy sucks, so I have to keep this thing running as long as I can and money is tight. If I could I would just junk this car and buy another one but thats not possible right now, so I have to keep it running for at least 1 more year.

Thanks for any help!

More info added this evening. The U joint, where the tilt steering is, both pins have sheared. The only thing holding it in place is the tilt mechinism and the wheel nut.

Is there a bushing or uni joint kit, or pin kit, that I can get to replace those pins, or do I need to replace the whole steering wheel shaft?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 92 Mercury Topaz tilt steering problem

I did find a labor time on AllData for a tilt wheel pivot, check with the dealer. Otherwise, you'll have to find a good one in a salvage yard. And remember, not all had airbags and had different columns.

#3 ·
Update.
We got another steering colum from a junkyard. The 2 piviting pins are pulled out with an 8-32 screw, and are pins that look like a dowell, with a head that looks like a small blunt bullet. They are not available in the USA.. we tried like heck finding some.. no go. We could not remove the broken pins.

The tilt mechinism sits inside the other part that contains the main functions of the steering wheel, i.e. the turn signals etc.. So its easy to replace.

Well I replaced the tilt part with the other one I got from the junkyard.
It wasn't that difficult to do. the worst part was the screws holding the plastic stuff over the steering wheel shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.