92 mercury topaz tilt steering problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 07:25   #1 (permalink)

confused 92 mercury topaz tilt steering problem

ya know, when these older cars start going, they just start going, one problem after another. Well now I have 3.

Not only do do I have the gear shift/transmission problem, today while working on it, I adjusted the tilt stearing and it broke. Just started flopping there..

Anyone know where I can find a diagram of this?

And can someone please tell me how to replace it?

Guys, im up in michigan where the economy sucks, so I have to keep this thing running as long as I can and money is tight. If I could I would just junk this car and buy another one but thats not possible right now, so I have to keep it running for at least 1 more year.

Thanks for any help!

More info added this evening. The U joint, where the tilt steering is, both pins have sheared. The only thing holding it in place is the tilt mechinism and the wheel nut.

Is there a bushing or uni joint kit, or pin kit, that I can get to replace those pins, or do I need to replace the whole steering wheel shaft?

Last edited by Bumbledor; 04-07-2008 at 18:16. Reason: More info
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 18:30   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 92 Mercury Topaz tilt steering problem

I did find a labor time on AllData for a tilt wheel pivot, check with the dealer. Otherwise, you'll have to find a good one in a salvage yard. And remember, not all had airbags and had different columns.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:38   #3 (permalink)

Re: 92 mercury topaz tilt steering problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbledor View Post
ya know, when these older cars start going, they just start going, one problem after another. Well now I have 3.

Not only do do I have the gear shift/transmission problem, today while working on it, I adjusted the tilt stearing and it broke. Just started flopping there..

Anyone know where I can find a diagram of this?

And can someone please tell me how to replace it?

Guys, im up in michigan where the economy sucks, so I have to keep this thing running as long as I can and money is tight. If I could I would just junk this car and buy another one but thats not possible right now, so I have to keep it running for at least 1 more year.

Thanks for any help!

More info added this evening. The U joint, where the tilt steering is, both pins have sheared. The only thing holding it in place is the tilt mechinism and the wheel nut.

Is there a bushing or uni joint kit, or pin kit, that I can get to replace those pins, or do I need to replace the whole steering wheel shaft?
Update.
We got another steering colum from a junkyard. The 2 piviting pins are pulled out with an 8-32 screw, and are pins that look like a dowell, with a head that looks like a small blunt bullet. They are not available in the USA.. we tried like heck finding some.. no go. We could not remove the broken pins.

The tilt mechinism sits inside the other part that contains the main functions of the steering wheel, i.e. the turn signals etc.. So its easy to replace.

Well I replaced the tilt part with the other one I got from the junkyard.
It wasn't that difficult to do. the worst part was the screws holding the plastic stuff over the steering wheel shaft.
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum