Ford Forums banner

92' Tempo not starting in cold

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

So since winter has set in, my 92' Tempo has not been starting. It turns over and I can smell fuel after a few tries but it wont start. When we get warm days it will start but realllllllllllly rough. The starter, battery, and alternator are new. I recently did an oil change, changed the fuel filter, and cleaned the throttle body last spring. I was thinking it may be the MAF sensor? Any ideas? I just dont want to spend $100 on a MAF sensor to find out that's not the problem. Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I changed the coolant temp sensor and it is still not starting correctly when it's cold. It will start but I have to crank it multiple times while holding the gas peddle to the floor before it finally spudders and starts really hard. Once it warms up it starts up fine and since it is starting I assume the plugs are fine (plus I changed them this last summer). I also changed the air filter this last summer so it doesnt have that many miles on it. Any other ideas? I cant take it somewhere to get it scanned because by the time I get there it will be warmed up and probably wont act up when I go to start it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.