92' Tempo- problem bleeding brakes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:09   #1 (permalink)

92' Tempo- problem bleeding brakes

I just replaced the two rear brake lines on my 92' Tempo yesterday. Upon going to bleed the brakes, the passenger rear bled fine but the drivers side rear wouldnt bleed. Tried the drivers side front and that wouldnt bleed either. We forgot to mark where the two rear lines went into the master cylinder and i think we might have hooked them up backwords so that the drivers side(front and rear) is controlled by one piston in the master cylinder and the passenger side is controlled by the other as opposed to making them control diagnolly(front left and rear right on one piston and vis versa). Would this cause one side to bleed and the other not?? Or is it possible there is something wrong with the master cylinder??
Master044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 06:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: 92' Tempo- problem bleeding brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master044 View Post
I just replaced the two rear brake lines on my 92' Tempo yesterday. Upon going to bleed the brakes, the passenger rear bled fine but the drivers side rear wouldnt bleed. Tried the drivers side front and that wouldnt bleed either. We forgot to mark where the two rear lines went into the master cylinder and i think we might have hooked them up backwords so that the drivers side(front and rear) is controlled by one piston in the master cylinder and the passenger side is controlled by the other as opposed to making them control diagnolly(front left and rear right on one piston and vis versa). Would this cause one side to bleed and the other not?? Or is it possible there is something wrong with the master cylinder??
Hello and good day:

On the Brake Booster the Rear Reservoir is for the Back Brakes. The Ford Tempo brakes booster installed in your car�s braking system is powered either by a vacuum or by a separate hydraulic pump.

I would disconnect the lines..and see if anything comes out of each lines..you may have a clogged line or a bad brake wheel cylinder.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply sterling! Since the rear wasn't bleeding we disconnected it and blew compressed air (@110psi) through the line and it was fine. Nothing came shooting out(besides a little brake fluid). And it cant be the wheel cylinder because we were trying to bleed the rear line where the long steel brake line connects to the rubber brake hose that leads to the cylinder. We did this because the bleeder screw was so rusted/tight we were starting to strip it and decided to just bleed it at the line. So the fluid wasnt even going to the cylinder. According to a diagram of a master cylinder i found online that looked similar to mine, my lines are set up so that the rear resevior controls my front passenger side and one of the back drums. And vis versa for the front resevoir. I'm not going to say you're wrong because i dont know enough about this, but based on where my front brake lines are connected and how the diagram looked, it would suggest you were :-/
Old 03-17-2011, 09:15   #4 (permalink)

OK...Good to hear...You think you may have a bad Brake Booster??
Old 03-17-2011, 11:32   #5 (permalink)

Well like i said, the rear drivers side drum bled fine. How would I know if the booster is bad? I mean, before my line blew, the brakes seemed to work fine. So i dont know what would have caused it to go bad all of a sudden
Old 03-17-2011, 13:33   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master044 View Post
Well like i said, the rear drivers side drum bled fine. How would I know if the booster is bad? I mean, before my line blew, the brakes seemed to work fine. So i dont know what would have caused it to go bad all of a sudden
Hmmm!

I am going to forward this Post to a few of my friends here so that they may look at this...Bert, Jwko, 360ci etc, and see if they have a clue.
Old 03-17-2011, 14:35   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The brake system is diagonally controlled. The left front and right rear ar connected and visa versa. The left rear line goes in the valve to the forewall side of the master cylinder and the right goes to the front valve. These are the bottom fittings. The side 2 are for the front brakes.
Old 03-17-2011, 14:44   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

I'm not the man in the know, but all the brakes I've messed with that had two chambers in the master cylinder...... the front section worked the rear brakes and the rear section worked the front brakes. The line for the rear came back to a block to split off to the two wheels (right and left) If it were mine, I'd start at the master cylinder and disconnect the lines as if you were going to bench bleed the master cylinder and see what you get there. I would also consider gravity bleeding instead of pressure bleeding and see what happens.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:32   #9 (permalink)

Alright, so last night I switched the lines so that the brakes worked diagonally. Still, the two lines that are controlled by the second piston in the master cylinder weren't bleedings. I pulled the bottom line off of the master cylinder and when i pressed the brakes, nothing came out. So, I thought for sure it was the master cylinder. I replaced the master cylinder, bench bled it, and put it back on. Still, same result. So, now I've got it narrowed down to either the reservoir's front chamber not releasing fluid correctly or there is this large nut/union looking thing that is between my brake line and the bottom ports on the master cylinder. I believe it is a proportioning valve/one way valve/quick valve...something along those lines. So im going to swap those tonight(front to back, back to front) and see if that front one is bad. If not, it has to be the reservoir right??? The lines arent clogged because I've gotten fluid to bleed out of all of them depending on which port on the master cylinder I had them hooked to. This has really turned into a pain in the butt.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:52   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That would be my next check. Keep us informed.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum