93 Tempo No Brake Lights Shift Interlock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
gord

93 Tempo No Brake Lights Shift Interlock

Hello I have 93 tempo gl 170,000 km automatic transmission. Today when I shut it off and tryied too restart I couldnt get the switch on the shifter column too engage. After I pressed the brake peddle hard too the floor it finally moved. Then it happened a couple more times untill now it will not move no matter how much you press brake switch. The fuse for the brake lights is good. There is no power at the terminals of the brake switch. Also I noticed that the Brake lights are now not working I jumped the switch with cotter pin, no luck. Anyone have any ideas where the common problem could be. I always thought that one of the terminals on the brake switch has constant power. Is power come from fuse too brake switch too interlock switch, or is it fed the oposite way from interlock too brake switch. Any heip sure will be appreciated
Thanks Gord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2003, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
gord

Smile Found Problem

I found fix. If you check for power at one of the wires at the brake switch, by connecting test light too spade terminal and ground and you still have now power with good fuse, stab into wire about an inch from the spade terminal and check there. I had power. seems the copper wire inside the plastic fraded and eventually broke without any trace of the plastic broken. New terminal cheap fix
This would explain why it intermit worked while pumping brake peddle and pushing interlock switch. untill it broke completely
Gord
Old 10-07-2003, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 93 Tempo No Brake Lights Shift Interlock

thanks for the information
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum