93 Tempo trans question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 03:35   #1 (permalink)

93 Tempo trans question

I just picked up this nice little tempo but it has a couple issues..first off the speedometer is not working and the engine seems to over rev and take a lond time before going into third gear..a co-worker said its a speed sensor.can any of you with more experience with these cars tell me if you think this is true?If so,where exactlly is this sensor located and is it difficult to change?Any help in this matter would be a great help...

Brian
tatuinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2005, 12:33   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 93 Tempo trans question

Could be the speed sensor, but the tempo speedometer is a cable driven unit.

The first thing I would check is the throttle pressure rod that goes from your transmission to your carburetor or throttle body linkage. This controls the shift points. Often the little plastic bushings that hold it on, get brittle from the heat, breaks into pieces and falls off causing the symptoms of over revving and hard shifting or slow shifting.

If that is not the problem then it could be a piece inside the trans. There is a plastic gear inside your transmission -- yes, plastic how genius is that!. That gear can warp and become perfectly rounded off. Replacing this is a pain in the butt. Almost the entire transmission has to be removed and reassembled.

A tranny shop can do it for you for around 150 - 200 in laboor, depending on your location it may be higher. If you do it yourself you can get the part for around 50USD. You will need to removed both axles, remove the tranny oil pan, remove the 6 bolts around the axle seal on the drivers side (these bolts are for the diff bearing retainer and one of them should be a Torx drive). You can then pull the retainer out while supporting the differential to prevent it from falling on the ground. Lower the diff assy. out (which includes the plastic gear) and replaced it. Reversing the steps for reassembly. BUT I WOULD LOOK AT THE FIRST SOLUTION PRIOR TO DOING THE TRANS WORK.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:42   #3 (permalink)

LunaticSVT,
You were right on the money!I took a look at the throttle linkage and the mounting bracket holding the accelerator cable was bent about 3/4 of a inch causing the linkage going to the trans to be way off.i bent it back where it should be and the trans is now shifting properly..
Now as far as the speedometer goes,it sounds like to big of a job for me so i will probally have to take your advise and put it in the trans shop but not before i get some other bugs worked out of this car..thanks again..

Brian
tatuinyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 19:20   #4 (permalink)

Dear LunaticSVT,

Does this plastic bushing fit around the ball on the end of the lever coming up from the transaxle and go inside of the eye on the end of the throttle valve rod? What color was it? I wondered why the eye looked so big compared to the ball! Mine must be long gone! What would I ask for at an auto supply store? Where would I find a picture to show the guy behind the counter?

Thanks!
silverwasblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum