93 topaz no power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 14:31   #1 (permalink)

93 topaz no power

have 93 topaz 2.3, no power when put in gear. I mean nil, guttless.

engine getting hot in very smal amount of running time, checked cat converter, not getting hot there. cooling fan not cutting in either, buddy said
egr valve is fine.
noticed oil coming from head where it is seated to block, see it leaking at two front ends of head
Is head gasket gone?
Is it hard to replace head gasket on a 93topaz 2.3?

Don't mind doing it myself if no special tools are needed.
Am I on the right track?
Lot of ques. I know, but like this car.

Have already changed distributer, and module, starts no problem.
runs rough on idle but runs good when rev up a bit.
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2004, 01:34   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 93 topaz no power

Not too hard to do. If you have a good set of spanners and time then I say go for it. Did a gasket replacement on a 2.3 Ranger. Fairly straight forward.

Rough idle you may want to play with the timing a hair.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:56   #3 (permalink)

A head gasket replacement is slightly different on a tempo. The ranger 2.3 has an OHC and the tempo 2.3 is OHV.

Beside having a torque wrench, a head gasket is fairly easy. Obviously the upper intake manifold has to come off, then the fuel rail with regulator needs to me removed from the lower intake manifold and set off to the side (I wrapped the fuel rail and injectors in an old towel to protect them), drain most of the coolant from the petcock at the bottom of the radiator, remove the thermastat housing, remove the lower intake manifold (kind of a PITA), remove the head to exhaust manifold bolts, remove the valve cover, and IIRC the bolts on the head if they are stock are a 13mm 12 point. You need a 12 point socket as a 6 point will not fit the bolts.

Reassembily is the reverse.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 16:08   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim
A head gasket replacement is slightly different on a tempo. The ranger 2.3 has an OHC and the tempo 2.3 is OHV.

Beside having a torque wrench, a head gasket is fairly easy. Obviously the upper intake manifold has to come off, then the fuel rail with regulator needs to me removed from the lower intake manifold and set off to the side (I wrapped the fuel rail and injectors in an old towel to protect them), drain most of the coolant from the petcock at the bottom of the radiator, remove the thermastat housing, remove the lower intake manifold (kind of a PITA), remove the head to exhaust manifold bolts, remove the valve cover, and IIRC the bolts on the head if they are stock are a 13mm 12 point. You need a 12 point socket as a 6 point will not fit the bolts.

Reassembily is the reverse.

Thanks for the replies, will give installing the head gasket a whirl, like doing things myself. Great site here
oldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum