94 Tempo Engine swap/conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 18:41   #1 (permalink)

94 Tempo Engine swap/conversion

Ive got a 94 tempo with 33,000 miles. I wanted to know if i could slap a turbo kit on it. or swap the 2.3t from the turbo coupe in it,

I found one on ebay for 900$

My real qustion here is it possible to buy a kit or to swap it.
vipergtsrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 21:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94 Tempo Engine swap/conversion

Several questions come to mind:

1) What sort of fabrication skills do you have?
- In a lot of cases, a "drop in" kit won't be a simple bolt on modification. Almost always, something has to be shaved, welded, drilled, clearanced or fudged to get the kit to fit right. I've seen even direct replacement parts need to have metal added in order for them to fit right.

2) Are you starting with the 2.3?

3) What state are you in?
- If your state has Commiefornia style emissions laws, you might be looking at some complications if you plan on altering the rest of the exhaust. It's a good idea to have your state's requirements firmly in mind while you plan out your changes to the vehicle. NY, for instance has different requirements depending on where you live. Down in the city, forget it; it's like an entirely different state down there.

4) A turbo on a Tempo?
- Better overall would be to ditch the inappropriate platform and start with some better stock. If you're dead set on it, dig the engine and transmission out of an SHO and start there. Steal the suspension from the same car or plan on making heavy changes to the existing suspension. What's there is definitely not strong enough for a turbo application. especially if you plan on beating on it. With what you have now, you'll be hard pressed to stir soup. Look into a MegaSquirt type ECM you can program yourself. With something like that, you'll get more gains much faster before you add the turbo just remapping fuel curves. Toss in the snail and you can set up a decent mill with less work over all.
RickyRetardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:53   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergtsrvp View Post
Ive got a 94 tempo with 33,000 miles. I wanted to know if i could slap a turbo kit on it. or swap the 2.3t from the turbo coupe in it,
The 2.3 Turbo is a completely different motor and nowhere near a direct bolt in.

Quote:
I found one on ebay for 900$
I'm pretty sure anything listed as a turbo "kit" for a Tempo is going to require pretty heavy fabrication. As in welding up your own manifold or making some sort of pipe that connects the stock manifold to the turbo. It can be done, but isn't easy.

I like Ricky's idea of a TempSHO conversion.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 18:40   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRetardo View Post
Several questions come to mind:

1) What sort of fabrication skills do you have?
- In a lot of cases, a "drop in" kit won't be a simple bolt on modification. Almost always, something has to be shaved, welded, drilled, clearanced or fudged to get the kit to fit right. I've seen even direct replacement parts need to have metal added in order for them to fit right.

2) Are you starting with the 2.3?

3) What state are you in?
- If your state has Commiefornia style emissions laws, you might be looking at some complications if you plan on altering the rest of the exhaust. It's a good idea to have your state's requirements firmly in mind while you plan out your changes to the vehicle. NY, for instance has different requirements depending on where you live. Down in the city, forget it; it's like an entirely different state down there.

4) A turbo on a Tempo?
- Better overall would be to ditch the inappropriate platform and start with some better stock. If you're dead set on it, dig the engine and transmission out of an SHO and start there. Steal the suspension from the same car or plan on making heavy changes to the existing suspension. What's there is definitely not strong enough for a turbo application. especially if you plan on beating on it. With what you have now, you'll be hard pressed to stir soup. Look into a MegaSquirt type ECM you can program yourself. With something like that, you'll get more gains much faster before you add the turbo just remapping fuel curves. Toss in the snail and you can set up a decent mill with less work over all.
1. I do not have much fabrication skill
2.Stock 2.3
3.I am in ohio
4.I am pretty dead set on a tempo i have one that i want to make it a sleeper..i want the most UNEXPECTED car to beat you on the highway thats it
vipergtsrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20   #5 (permalink)

Don't waste your time on a Tempo. They are disposable throw away cars. Just my opinion. Get yourself a S.H.O. and take the rear bumper off it that says SHO and replace it with a regular Taurus bumper cover. Remove all SHO emblems and decals and there
you have it. A perfect sleeper. The SHO EATS 5lt. mustangs. I know. Pretty good for a 4
door sedan. They also EAT Super Coupes. Tried that too. Just a thought. If you do get yourself a turbo in your Tempo What are you going to do when, and it will happen, your
body twists under torque and you can't open the doors ? I put a 327 in a Vaga. Now that
is a sleeper.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 16:50   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

I once had a chevy luv with a 454. I miss that truck...
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 16:52   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 17:55   #8 (permalink)
canuck

V8!!!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 20:25   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
1. I do not have much fabrication skill
No better time to learn than on a cheap car. Go for the SHO swap (94 and up, though to keep it legal across state lines). Me, I'd look for the 94/95 3.2L. The 96+ 3.4L V8 were known for the cam losing the sprocket at about 50k miles. You could have them welded, but if the shop doesn't balance them right, you're back at square one with a big Cosworth/Yamaha paper weight. Also to keep things easy, I'd look for a centrifugal supercharger to simplify the exhaust routing. Building headers is a lot easier than you might think if you take your time and use your head but mounting a turbo in the way brings teh suck.

Quote:
3.I am in ohio
Sweet. You could run the pipes as "experimental" and get away with whatever you wanted to run so long as they met emissions (equipment) and noise standards. That leaves the field way open.

Quote:
4.I am pretty dead set on a tempo i have one that i want to make it a sleeper..i want the most UNEXPECTED car to beat you on the highway thats it
And that's the root of all that is custom and the soul of hot rodding. I wouldn't do it that way, but if I were to build a Tempo, the way I'd do it is above. Don't screw around with nitrous oxide as it's way too hard on the cylinders. Yeah, yeah, it runs cooler and generates a ton of power but you can blow the plugs out of the heads if you get too heavy with the injector. Go with water/methanol injection. It's got its roots in fighter aircraft and tanks. Any asshat who says it's not all it's cracked up to be doesn't know jack about it. Tell them to go check out a Saab 99 Turbo S or try and race a B-52- which can carry 488,000 lb at 650 mph. Water/methanol injected engines are usually tuned with a narrower margin of safety allowing for greater compression ratios and largely eliminating the problem of detonation. This would be a very good idea if you plan on using the factory block without significant reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Don't waste your time on a Tempo.
1994 Tempo Coupe = 2511lbs
1994 Tempo Sedan = 2723lbs
1994 Taurus SHO = 3,472lbs

I smell a coupe getting built.
RickyRetardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum