94 Tempo - Fuel Pressure? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 14:40   #1 (permalink)

94 Tempo - Fuel Pressure?

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is yet, but my guess is fuel pressure. First, a little background. A few weeks ago, my girlfriend's 1994 Ford Tempo would randomly not start. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. Whenever it wouldn't start, the fuel pump was not kicking on. So, I bought a new fuel pump and put it in. Still had the same problem of the fuel pump not coming on when you turn the key. I did a little research and eventually I ended up replacing the Relay Control Module (CCRM, BCM, or whatever you call it) and now the fuel pump is coming on just fine. The problem is, I have to crank the car 6 or 7 times (cycling the key on and off a few times before each crank to activate the fuel pump) before it will actually start. A few minutes after I get it to start, I have to give it some gas or else the idle drops really low and the car dies again. After that, the car seems to run fine. If I drive the car for a while and turn it off, I can crank it right back up and it works fine. If I let it sit for a few hours, I have to repeat the above process again to get it to start. I suspect that maybe it's losing fuel pressure and that's my problem. However, I'm not that great of a mechanic and I'm hoping someone here more qualified can help me out.
alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 19:24   #2 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Re: 94 Tempo - Fuel Pressure?

You may have gotten a junk fuel pump.

You may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator as well. Pull the vacuum line off of the regulator and see if it is wet. If it is, this is fuel seeping into where it should not be.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2009, 21:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitnowlt View Post

You may have a faulty fuel pressure regulator as well. Pull the vacuum line off of the regulator and see if it is wet. If it is, this is fuel seeping into where it should not be.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give your tips a try tomorrow. How easy is it to change out the fuel pressure regulator?
Old 08-01-2009, 18:14   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitnowlt View Post

Good luck.
Ok, tried pulling off the vacuum line and it was completely dry on both ends. I also checked the fuel pressure while I had the vacuum line off and plugged to verify that it would rise (it did). Does this eliminate the regulator as a possible source of my problem? Any other ideas?
Old 08-01-2009, 19:37   #5 (permalink)

Some pressure does not equal correct pressure. Get a pressure gauge or have it checked.
RickyRetardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 21:37   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRetardo View Post
Some pressure does not equal correct pressure. Get a pressure gauge or have it checked.
Sorry, forgot to mention that I got a pressure checker from Autozone and tested it. After I got the pressure to rise enough to start the car, the pressure was at a normal level (around 48 psi) and it rose accordingly when I took off the vacuum hose and plugged it (rose to 55 psi).
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42   #7 (permalink)

Was it steady all the way through to normal operating temp?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRetardo View Post
Was it steady all the way through to normal operating temp?
Yep, a minute or two after I got the car to start it rose to the correct level and stayed there the whole time the car was on. Actually, it was at the correct level after I turned the car off too. It seems like it takes a long time to lose pressure, like say, overnight. After only an hour or two it didn't lose but maybe 4 or 5 psi.
Old 08-04-2009, 19:52   #9 (permalink)

IAC? TPS? What codes are you getting?
Old 08-10-2009, 13:10   #10 (permalink)

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum