94 Topaz brake problem? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2005, 15:20   #1 (permalink)

94 Topaz brake problem?

I bought this car a week ago and have been working on the brakes. The drums and rotors are within spec. I have replaced the pads, shoes, spring kit, and the master cylinder. There are no leaks in the system, and the rear wheel cylinders seem to be working properly.

I have bled all the lines and the master cylinder and am sure there is no air in the lines.

The problem is that the brake pedal feels very soft, and has lots of travel. I have taken the car on the road and tried doing panic stops and the pedal almost bottoms out, and the wheels have yet to lock up. So far there is no danger of hitting the brakes and going through the windshield. I have the rear brakes adjusted to the point that when the pedal is pushed it travels what the wife calls half way down, and the rear tires can't be turned by hand anymore. Is this enough?

The rear brakes are adjusted up enough I think, if not a little too much.

From reading I have done, it almost sounds like the rod for the master cylinder is out of adjustment. The book I have says that if the rod is out too far the brakes will drag, and if the rod is'nt out far enough than the booster will make a growling sound and you will have exsessive pedal travel. The sound I here is more like a hissing sound when the pedal is pushed. Is this the sound the book mentions?

Also under the master cylinder, there are two valves. I think they are called presure control valves. What do these do and how can you tell if these things are working properly?

This is my first car like this, and the first time I have encountered brakes like this. Have any ideal or suggestions? Know of any other places to go to find help?

I hope all this made sense.
Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 18:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94 Topaz brake problem?

Sounds like you still have air in the brake system somewhere. I would bleed the brakes starting from the farthest wheel from the master cyl and work towards it. I don't know if your car has abs, if it does, there could be air in the abs block in which case you will probably have to take it to a shop to have it bled, and they will cuss plenty before they get it done.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum