Anyone know what this is? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 10:10   #1 (permalink)

Anyone know what this is?

Im kind of simple when it comes to cars, learning a little at a time as various things go wrong with my 94 tempo. there is a black circular type of thing to the front and left of the airfilter. it says "BR 4a11B" on it, among other numbers, and it has a hose that seems to be running from the air filter, into it, and another hose leading out to the bottom of the car.

the hose leading (away from?) it at the bottom has become unattached where it it supppsoed to meet some kind of pipe, i think because the metal has corroded. when i put my hand in front of it (the pipe-thing it is supposed to be connected to), i can kind of feel some air sucking in a little.

i thought it may have been something to do with the a/c, but now im not so sure. if someone could tell me what this is and what the implications of that corroded, now disconnected, hose are, i would be most appreciative. im not sure how long its been that way. thanks much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car 002.jpg (52.0 KB, 121 views)
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2005, 03:00   #2 (permalink)

Re: Anyone know what this is?

Can you get a wider picture? It appears to be the "thermatic pump". If it is indeed that, the hose comming out of the bottom should go to the catlatic converter in a round about way. But that does not look like any of the 88-94 "thermatic pumps" I have seen.

Here is a picture of a friends 94 Topaz, in the lower right corner is the "thermatic pump". Does this look right?

I couldn't find any other pictures of a 92-94, but below is a clear picture of one from an 88-91. This one has a little blue breather mounted on top.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:23   #3 (permalink)

After looking farther, is your car a 4 cylinder or V6? The pictures I posted were of a 4 cylinder.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 20:25   #4 (permalink)

OK, how is it pics of my cars always end up in your examples? :lol:

Anyway... Looks a four-cylinder (notice the distributor and where it's located) :)

My best guess is that this particular car is equipped for California emissions; Tim's and my T/Ts don't have anything but the air inlet hose on top of the PAIR (pulsed air) silencer. IIRC, CA emissions would have a setup like that with an additional hose leading to a solenoid mounted on the LH strut tower by the EVR solenoid.

Let me dig out my PCED and get some more info....
TopCat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 20:58   #5 (permalink)

It won't let me edit my post, so I'll try to clear up here...

My PCED is missing so I cant' give you much more detail at the moment. (Since it's emissions-related, it's not in the Service Manual.) The only other thing that comes to mind is the phrase "secondary air"...
TopCat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 13:21   #6 (permalink)

Looks like a Thermactor Downstream Air Pump. It is part of the emission control system and pulses cool air into the catalytic converter.

JBC2005
JBC2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum