Automatic Seat belt just broke - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2002, 05:59   #1 (permalink)
Mike Pfleger

Automatic Seat belt just broke

Hey, this is my first post here so for starters I'd like to say 'hi' to everyone and hope everyone is enjoying what's left of the weekend.

The automatic seatbelt on the driver side of my '91 Tempo just broke. The motor runs but the belt must have become unattached inside the door somehow. Is this a fix that I could do myself or would it require the dealer to service it.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Pfleger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2004, 01:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Automatic Seat belt just broke

You can fix it! I did a few times already. If motor is running but belt not moving = plastic perforated leader/runner's end is broken or stuck in the gear box housing, or both.

1) Take side panels out and you'll see the metal frame/railing, inside which the leader moves metal bracket of seat belt. Take it apart. Be careful not to brake plastic sensor brackets on railings!
2) Remove leader by turning adjustment knob on the motor. It's ~ 5 feet long.
3)Check what problem is -> if leader stuck in housing, disassemble it and try to straighten leader, it might work for avile after it.
-> If end of leader broken, you may cut it off and shape it similar and cut out enogh hole to place belt's metal bracket in.
Or you can get leader from junk yard for ~$5. (They'll probably try to sell you whole assembly, which you don't need). If you can, get two of them (or more) for other side in advance. Make sure they are not bended.
4) Reassemble it. Make sure seat belt is not twisted. Secure gear box housing tighter at the leader openings with strapons.
5) Adjust seat belt by turning knob on motor, so it'll close and open without warning ligts on claster panel!
6) Put the side panels back.

You can check belt by braking hard -> belt should lock up. Then you'll have piece of mind and bragging rights! Also you might get the leader and take it to mechanic to replade it ;-)

!!! NOTE:
Do not procrastinate, or you might will have to change plastic (!?) gear inside a gear box at the motor, because it's grinding against nonmoving leader!
You can leave seat belt in closed position temporarily and disconnect electrical connector at motor, to prevent grinding.

Good luck!
Fordunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 14:07   #3 (permalink)

i am having this same problem with my 93 V6 Tempo 4dr. Where exactly would i find the power connection for the automatic seat belt motor at. Theres two power connections down by the motor and i just dont want to pull the wrong one.

Last edited by DrtyMnky81; 09-09-2004 at 14:29. Reason: more info on problem:
DrtyMnky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 14:57   #4 (permalink)

NM, the last post found the power supply for it and disconected it thanks for all the help.
DrtyMnky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 15:15   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyMnky81
i am having this same problem with my 93 V6 Tempo 4dr. Where exactly would i find the power connection for the automatic seat belt motor at. Theres two power connections down by the motor and i just dont want to pull the wrong one.
Okay, I've no doubt that this topic has been beat to death but I'm a car idiot and I'm hoping that someone can explain to me EXACTLY where to find the motor and which of the "power connections" mentioned above to I disconnect?

I'd really appreciate any advice. I'm terribly paranoid about getting a ticket.

Thanks!!!
Mashavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 19:54   #6 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Thumbs up Re: Automatic Seat belt just broke

1) Take side panels out and you'll see the metal frame/railing, inside which the leader moves metal bracket of seat belt. Take it apart. Be careful not to brake plastic sensor brackets on railings!
3)Check what problem is -> if leader stuck in housing, disassemble it and try to straighten leader, it might work for avile after it.
-> If end of leader broken, you may cut it off and shape it similar and cut out enogh hole to place belt's metal bracket in.
Or you can get leader from junk yard for ~$5. (They'll probably try to sell you whole assembly, which you don't need). If you can, get two of them (or more) for other side in advance. Make sure they are not bended.
4) Reassemble it. Make sure seat belt is not twisted. Secure gear box housing tighter at the leader openings with strapons.
5) Adjust seat belt by turning knob on motor, so it'll close and open without warning ligts on claster panel!

ive never even seen back there and i can tell u this, the mottor wil be obvious have wires runign to it, be located on the track, and easily found when paneling is removed and mototr is qued to run
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 19:55   #7 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

or just pull the fuse
Old 10-19-2005, 14:35   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronicus

ive never even seen back there and i can tell u this, the mottor wil be obvious have wires runign to it, be located on the track, and easily found when paneling is removed and mototr is qued to run
Thanks for the help Cronicus. When you say the "side panel" are you referring to the small (about 6" x 8") plastic side panels located in the back seat....where the manual override is? I've already go those removed and the manual override knob is the only thing I can see. For some reason, I was thinking that the motor would be somewhere under the steering wheel. (told you I'm a car idiot). I don't want to fix it...just disconnect the stupid motor that's driving me nuts.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2005, 20:36   #9 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

rofl srry bro um, the motore for the belts is defintly on the track, start pulling scrues off the sides til u get to the track, on the door jam if u will, but uh, the motor is either on the actual belt end or on the track and uses a system like a rollercoaster
in otherwords the motor wont be far from the belt, either on the belt" i doubt it but" or its on one of the ends of the tack, u see the seat belt slides through a track, and the motor is sum where within that track
pull ther pannel that runs from about where ur whiper control is, all the way back to where ur seat belt would normaly sit with doors closed
Old 10-20-2005, 16:57   #10 (permalink)

NOW you're talkin', Cornicus. I know exactly what your talking about now! Heck, that's easier than I thought! I was getting prepared to take off the whole damn door. Sweet mother!

By the way, the previous explanation was probably just fine...my only excuse is that I'm one of the girls.....a "sis", if you will. So, for a mechanically challenged girl like me.....it may as well have been Latin.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum