Ford Forums banner

Buying a 1986 Diesel Tempo (Won't Turn Over)

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dieseltempo 
#1 · (Edited)
I am about to buy a 1986 Diesel Tempo with about 200,000 miles on it for $500. A buddy of mine and I went to look at it two days ago and its in beautiful condition. I also understand that 200,000 is nothing to a diesel engine. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get it started. The person selling the car showed us a video of him driving it a month ago before storing it. Hes also put work into it since then including new break lines and glow plugs. However, this will be my first ever diesel; and no worries, its being purchased as a project car, not a daily driver.

Tomorrow I am going to look at it with another buddy of mine who is knowledgeable in diesel engines. He thinks the guy may have just flooded it. When he was attempting to start it he sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake and cranked it about 5 times total. The engine sounded like it was about to start and it was cranking strong, but just wasn't catching. He was pumping the gas as well and he primed it (a primer in a car, the strangest thing I've ever seen) but no luck.

Also, it is going to need a new battery. We had the terminals hooked to a boat battery which was hooked to his van via jumper cables.

So my questions are:

1. What kind of battery do these take, if my research is correct I don't know where to find a battery that massive (the old one is still in the trunk) with that high of a CCA. Would a battery for a more common 1.6 or 2.0 liter diesel VW Golf or Jetta from around the same time work?
2. The engine sounded healthy when it was cranking, and I know diesels have a harder time starting in the cold after sitting for awhile. Could he have just flooded it? Could it be a loss of compression? Any suggestions or steps to take when I go back to it tomorrow?
3. I used to own a 1996 Miata and would order parts from this junkyard in Pennsylvania (Planet-Miata.com Home - Your #1 source for Mazda Miata new and used parts and accessories.) Is there a comparable site like this for diesel Tempos? Or any good specific forums or clubs to join with these as I know they're rare. Really, its just a Tempo overall, but if I ever need engine specific parts I'll need a source.
4. Anything in general I should Just know from other owners of these?

See less See more
#3 ·
Check glow plugs getting power , check fuel lines not feeding back and drawing air .Check fuel filter .VW battery for that year on similar car probably o.k as long as it cranks at correct speed .Get it thoroughly checked out and road tested otherwise it could be a money pit even at that price .

#4 ·
We decided to wait until Saturday at Noon so were not rushed or racing the sunset trying to do it after work. I can't find the source where I read this but it takes about 1100 CCA to crank. Since I can't find a battery meeting those specs I did some research and ended up purchasing two ValuePower 650 CCA batteries ($45 each) and some 4 gauge wire. I'm going to connect them parallel so they act as one (see image). Apparently many people do this for various reasons (maybe for an amp and sub), but it would give it a 1300 CCA starting boost which is 200 over its spec. If it doesn't check out tomorrow and I don't end up buying it at least the batteries aren't a loss, I can just return them. The joys of Wal-Mart.

And ok, I'll research those topics to prepare for tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

#9 ·
Diesel oil looses it's ommff after a while. Gets gummy and a type of mould forms. That can plug injectors. A diesel engine usually needs 500 R.P.M. to start. Some need 550.
if a diesel engine sits more than 6 months problems usually arise and your battery thing
doesn't work that way. You will still have 650 CCA. The formula is add CCA from all
batteries. then divide by 2. EXP. 1000 CCA + 800 CCA = 900 CCA.
EXP. 1000 CCA + 650 CCA = 825 CCA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.