Cannot find part! 92 merc topaz shifter assy plate - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 19:27   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Cannot find part! 92 merc topaz shifter assy plate

I need the base plate for the shifter assembly for a 92 Mercury topaz, with 3 speed auto trans, 4 cyl engine.

Ive looked at over 40 "parts sites" here on the internet, and no one lists this part.

I want my car back! It works great, has lasted a long time and this one little issue is stopping me.. I can't see trashing a whole car for one stinking part.

My Chiltions repair manual calls it the automatic transaxle shifter assembly.
What I need is the plate, or the entire assembly minus the 2 cables hooked up to it..

Also, can anyone tell me how the thing is bolted to the floor? Is there nuts on the otherneeth side of the car or are these things self tapping screws? I tried to remove one and snapped the head off of it..

Any help appreated!

Last edited by Bumbledor; 04-02-2008 at 19:28. Reason: wanted to change title
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37   #2 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Cannot find part! 92 merc topaz shifter assy plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbledor View Post
I need the base plate for the shifter assembly for a 92 Mercury topaz, with 3 speed auto trans, 4 cyl engine.

Ive looked at over 40 "parts sites" here on the internet, and no one lists this part.

I want my car back! It works great, has lasted a long time and this one little issue is stopping me.. I can't see trashing a whole car for one stinking part.

My Chiltions repair manual calls it the automatic transaxle shifter assembly.
What I need is the plate, or the entire assembly minus the 2 cables hooked up to it..

Also, can anyone tell me how the thing is bolted to the floor? Is there nuts on the otherneeth side of the car or are these things self tapping screws? I tried to remove one and snapped the head off of it..

Any help appreated!
I did not find a new plate, but I did manage to make the repair. here is how I did it.

I made a new tie down point with a peice of 78 thousandths thich sheet metal, (not sure of the gage). I made a big L bracket, 1.5 inches high, 2 wide. The other side is 2 inchs wide, 4 inches. I put an u channel into the 1.5 inch side, and placed that over the top of the cable, making an A frame. The other side of this L bracket, now an a frame, with legs on it, were then bent down to the car floor, and then I drilled 2 holes and installed 2 sheet metal screws to hold it down. The cable is nice and tight now.

The car still doesn't shift properly, but I think thats in the transmission now, not the cable.
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum