The car is making a left turn by itself - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2004, 20:17   #1 (permalink)

The car is making a left turn by itself

The car is pulling left, so that if I don't hold firmly the driving wheel it will make a left turn.
I've been driving like this for 3 months and the only problem is a worn right tire.
What' the problem and does it make sense to fix it.
The car is 140,000 miles and I plan to drive it till 200,000

Thanks in advance
stanyinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: The car is making a left turn by itself

Check tyre pressures firstly (i really hope you have already)

Get a wheel alignment, for about 30 bucks they will tell you whats wrong, or fix it

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 21:29   #3 (permalink)
Old Ford Fan

Re: The car is making a left turn by itself

My wifes windstar went in for warranty repair of squeaky tie rod ends, they replaced/realigned, we picked it up, and steering wheel was way off and it pulled a bit- they said "caster/camber split" was just a tiny bit off, but would need to move/weld upper strut mounts to 'fix' it...I said no way as it was fine before they touched it, took to another shop, and told them what happened, he checked it out, said not off far enough to hurt anything, and suggested switching tires left to right, as perhaps they swapped them during service- and it fixed the problem. The guy said it was 'ply steer', due to the way some tires are made they can tend to pull a bit, and also said alignment is usually off a tiny bit to allow for 'road crown', by switching tires, the problem kinda evened this out a bit, switching other way exaggerated it. I'd never heard of it, but thought I'd pass it along. (was bad enough to shift steering wheel 30-40 degrees off center)
I gave the guys at the Ford Dealership an earful, for wanting to drill/weld on an almost new vehicle- they use roadsalt here and it eats anything not galvanized...let alone the fact that when tires will be replaced I would have probably had to 'undo' the 'fix'.

As in prior post, if you havent had it aligned, do it- but will mention other minor things you've probably already checked: air pressure, draggy brake caliper, mismatched front tires(front drive tires must be replaced at same time or diameter difference can make it pull toward larger tire under throttle/smaller tire under braking), I'm sure theres a lot more that can affect it too. good luck!
ford4v429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum