Driver side window not engaging, but seems fine????? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 19:30   #1 (permalink)

Driver side window not engaging, but seems fine?????

My driver's side front window is not functioning properly. The motor is fine, but it's not engaging the gear that moves the window up and down. I took the door panel off, removed the motor, and ran it to make sure it was find. Everything looked good. I re-installed it and still can't get it to engage the window. With the motor out, the window slides up and down freely. With the motor in, i can apply pressure to the window and click the motor either up and down and it will kind of work. If i don't apply any pressure, the window kind of jumps a little bit but that's about it.

I took the passenger side door panel off to look at the inner workings of it to see if anything was noticeably different than the driver's side, but it all looked the same. What the heck is happening? Should I try to get a new gear for the motor? The one on it seems perfectly fine, there's obviously something happening that is causing it not to fully engage the gear that moves the window. Any help is appreciated.
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Driver side window not engaging, but seems fine?????

The internal gears in the motor can go bad. When the motor is out, pull the cover and look at the gears.
Old 04-04-2012, 19:59   #3 (permalink)

I pulled the motor and operated it and everything seemed fine. The gear spun and it really sounds pretty dang strong. I took the cover off and didn't notice anything that would be alarming. It's the weirdest thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

What year is it?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:29   #5 (permalink)

It's a 1992. Maybe I just need to replace the main gear that contacts the window gear and go from there. I don't know what that's going to do, but perhaps it's a starting point. How do I change that gear once I have the cover off?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:20   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I think there are 3 screws holding the cover on. Remove them and lift the gears out. Keep us posted.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:32   #7 (permalink)

Will do. Like I said, I don't see what that will do, but I have to try something.
Old 04-05-2012, 15:41   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You should be able to see the problem with the gears if you pull them out.
Old 04-05-2012, 19:44   #9 (permalink)

Okay, so I picked up a gear at Autozone and pulled the motor out. I got the cover off, and the metal gear came off. I thought that was odd since the gear that was replacing it was just one whole piece (i.e. metal gear that engages window and plastic gear that engages window motor). I used a screw driver to pry out the plastic gear that was still inside and pieces of plastic started falling out. I knew I had found the problem.

I put some new grease in, put the new gear in, and I am back in business. Here's what happened. When I originally pulled the motor out and tested it, everything worked fine. That's why I didn't think it was a problem with the gear. However, once the gear was put under the load of the window, it couldn't do anything but just spin. Glad I did it and now my window is working again so that I can enjoy this beautiful weather to the fullest.
Old 04-05-2012, 20:26   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good job, thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum