Ford TFI (igniton failure) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 21:08   #1 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Ford TFI (igniton failure)

I did some research on the internet and came up with some (hopefully) helpfull information re stalling problems with the Tempo/Topaz cars.
Twenty two million Ford vehicles from 1983-1995 have had defective ignition modules that may be the problem of stalling.
The models have ignition modules mounted on the distributor and it has been found when the temperature of the module reaches approx./ 257 deg. farenheit,(125 deg. C) the module is likely to cut out and cause the vehicle to die on the road. It has been found when the vehicle cools down (module cools that is) it can restart and will run untill the module exceeds the design temperature. This is a hard problem to diagnose because by the time the vehicle gets towed to a garage or dealership, it waits for repair and has cooled down again and no cause can be found for the stalling.
There is a lot more to this storey, but would take up too much space to type it on here. If I can locate the website again I will post it. I just recently took another trip to the interior of British Columbia with our 93 Topaz and had a lot of stalling problems on the long grades. Had to let it cool down for about 10-15 min. and it would go again until next time. You just never knew when it was going to quit. Had a engine diagnosis done and several codes came up but they were checked out and found to be okay. I have even replaced the ignition module with an aftermarket one and still had the problem, its usually on a long uphill grade in warm weather.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 01:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford TFI (igniton failure)

Ford produced some vehicals with remoted mounted TFI's. Some even were mounted on a heat sink. I know I saw a lincoln at the yard that had one mounted on the header in front of the radiator (behind the grill). Others had it mounted on a inner fender.

I'm going to start scouting yards, to see if it's possible to retro fit one of these to my car. Being as ford reused parts/designs, the body of the module was the same.

Ideally I'd like to find/make a remote kit with a dummy module that mounts to the dist and then has wires and a plug where you can mount the TFI somewhere cooler.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:51   #3 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

yup, n if ya want bro kuz theres no msd products made for tempo get the universal ignition box of a 94 ford ranger and such on
Cronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Here is a website for general information re settlement on TFI (ignition module)

http://www.tfisettlement.com./

Those two previous websites don't seem to work for me, but this one does.
Old 11-29-2005, 18:07   #5 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

slap a msd-8227 on there.
sum ppl say they dont feel a real increase with msd's
i gauntree u the stock ignition module is so far from the msd u will feel a serious difference.
u will forget tfi problems ever existed.
u willl staul in disbelif on how fast she starts up.
u will need new plugs
Old 11-29-2005, 19:16   #6 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Thanks for the tip Cronicus. We are in cool temperatures for next few months now and the Topaz will run just tickety boo until next summer. I might try a small fan or try attaching a small two inch dia flexable vent tube below the rad and run it up to the TFI so it keeps cooler. But I will see if there is anything here re MSD for temp/topaz ignitions systems. Wife wants to trade the Topaz off, mite be a good idea too. So I don't intend to spend too much on it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:09   #7 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

there $58 but if ur selling it..
hell the buyer might like the ride..
n u wont get much for these cars unfortunatly:(
best kept for sentimental value
Old 11-30-2005, 16:29   #8 (permalink)

WOW. you just answered a question I was going to ask. I just recently went on a 400 mile trip and had this exact problem twice!!! Now I know I am not the only one. Does anyone know how to fix this?? It also happened twice on the way back.
AR444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 18:52   #9 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

its the tfi ignition module overheating or other problems in the sparking system
u can replace it but..
slap a msd-8227 "product #" in there its a replacement module so it fits right in no additional work nessary
Old 12-21-2005, 17:40   #10 (permalink)

I have a 94 Tempo, 2.3, automatic. The car has a couple of problems:
1. sometimes when you first start it up it will and then die. But starts right back up.
2. After you start it and then put it in gear it surges/sputters sometimes it will take a few seconds for it to catch up with its self.
What I have been doing is letting it warm up for 5 or 10 minutes and it runs fine.

I have replaced the spark plugs, cap. rotor, Map sensor, fuel filter, and fuel pump in the tank (it needed that).

Any ideas what is wrong?

Brian
bkever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum