Ford Forums banner

Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help!

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rrfeury 
#1 ·
Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help!
After posting advice on A/C and auto belts, and preparing on panel vents, I think I can ask for help myself.

Fuel gauge shows Full allwaus... I think it's a short in the circuit.
I checked the wire between gauge connector at instrument claster and the opening in the floor, under back seat, where 4 wires going down to fuel tank. And the wires are fine - no cracks, no metal tauching. After my manipulations gauge now goes to full, and then to empty (open circuit ?). I thing wire is off and toching body.
There are 2 black wires,
pink with black stripe - it's going to engine department (I think it's from fuel pump),
and yellow with white stripe - it's going to claster ( I think it's the wire in trouble from sending unit).
Checked them with voltmeter, without disconnecting battery - continuity is fine, and they all have different levels of of resistance if checked to ground (body), and no voltage.
Also, tried to put other gauge (from junk yard) - does the same thing... On top of that, couple years ago changed fuel pump and sending unit at Ford dealer, and told them about problem, but they didn't fix it... saying that it might be on the claster and it's another repair($$$).

Please help!
What tests should I do and how to determine if this is fuel gauge or sending unit?
Can it be fixed without taking fuel tank out?
Is it possible to do myself at home?
Thank you in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
Ever figure out what the problem was? I am having the same problem and really don't want to pull the tank. I have a AWD and would have to pull the rear axle and exhaust. I am going to check for a ground clip or lug near the tank or on the tank first. We have this problem with mail trucks a lot.
I may cut an access panel in the trunk floor if I can locate where the fuel pump opening is on the tank. feury@rocketmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.