Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 21:27   #1 (permalink)

Question Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help!

Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help!
After posting advice on A/C and auto belts, and preparing on panel vents, I think I can ask for help myself.

Fuel gauge shows Full allwaus... I think it's a short in the circuit.
I checked the wire between gauge connector at instrument claster and the opening in the floor, under back seat, where 4 wires going down to fuel tank. And the wires are fine - no cracks, no metal tauching. After my manipulations gauge now goes to full, and then to empty (open circuit ?). I thing wire is off and toching body.
There are 2 black wires,
pink with black stripe - it's going to engine department (I think it's from fuel pump),
and yellow with white stripe - it's going to claster ( I think it's the wire in trouble from sending unit).
Checked them with voltmeter, without disconnecting battery - continuity is fine, and they all have different levels of of resistance if checked to ground (body), and no voltage.
Also, tried to put other gauge (from junk yard) - does the same thing... On top of that, couple years ago changed fuel pump and sending unit at Ford dealer, and told them about problem, but they didn't fix it... saying that it might be on the claster and it's another repair($$$).

Please help!
What tests should I do and how to determine if this is fuel gauge or sending unit?
Can it be fixed without taking fuel tank out?
Is it possible to do myself at home?
Thank you in advance!
Fordunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 21:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help!

After getting rear-ended, I am now having the exact same problem with the fuel guage being stuck in the full position. My car is a '91 Ford Tempo GL. If anyone has any information on how to fix this, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
jds723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:57   #3 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Fuel gauge not working on Ford Tempo GL 1989...Please help!

drop the tank and inspect

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum