HELP! 92 topaz blower motor works, NOT! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 19:15   #1 (permalink)

Question HELP! 92 topaz blower motor works, NOT!

Ok guys, really need someone knowedgable here.

Im gearing up to move from michigan to texas, where I need a functioning car for a few months at least.

My 92 topaz, 2.3 ltr inline 4 automatic, with AC.

The coolant fan does work, but not automaticaly. It will not turn on when the car gets hot enough to kick it on. Ive replaced the tempature sensor located next to the thermostat housing.

If I unplug the wire, the thing kicks in, but the car runs a bit lean.

The electronic brain seems to be located on a bracket next to the driver side shock/strut tower mount.

I do not know if there is a data port, for a code reader to do a diagnostics on it..

Can anyone tell me if there is one, and where the code port would be located?

My Haynes repair manual says there is also a fan relay control box located behind the glove compartment. I looked there, and cannot find anything like the picture in the manual.

Any suggestions apprecated, as I am running out of time before I have to pack up and make the big move.
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 10:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: HELP! 92 topaz blower motor works, NOT!

Your EECV test port should be located on or near the passenger-side strut tower. It may be tucked down behind or next to it.
Old 07-09-2008, 13:12   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3GTP View Post
Your EECV test port should be located on or near the passenger-side strut tower. It may be tucked down behind or next to it.
I Looked there. All that was around it was the hoses for the AC and the power steering resevour, which was on the front (towards the radiator) side.

over on the driver side, there is a little box that says eeg or maybe EEC test. is that it? its about half an inch wide, by 2 inches long by about 1 and 1/2 inch tall.

Am I looking for some kind of closed connection in a box with a cover, or what exactly?
Most of the electrical stuff is on the driver side.

Wish I could send pictures with this thing, it might help.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-09-2008, 20:19   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: HELP! 92 topaz blower motor works, NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbledor View Post
I Looked there. All that was around it was the hoses for the AC and the power steering resevour, which was on the front (towards the radiator) side.

over on the driver side, there is a little box that says eeg or maybe EEC test. is that it? its about half an inch wide, by 2 inches long by about 1 and 1/2 inch tall.

Am I looking for some kind of closed connection in a box with a cover, or what exactly?
Most of the electrical stuff is on the driver side.

Wish I could send pictures with this thing, it might help.

Thanks for your reply.
That's it. Remove the cover and that's the connector. Be careful removing the seperate white pigtail!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
That's it. Remove the cover and that's the connector. Be careful removing the seperate white pigtail!!!

Ahh great. Thank you.
My buddy called (the one whose going to help me put in the new CV joint), and he said he has a obd1 reader or something like that, that can read the codes.
Old 08-26-2009, 19:11   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post

Ok finally found this old thread.. still working on this problem.
Update:
Finally got an obd reader of my own.
Took car into dealership, they replaced the IRCM/CCRM module, for another problem that occured.

I have replaced both sensors, one on the thermostat, the other on the engine block just below the thermostat housing body.

If I start the car with the Thermostat sensor plugged in, the car runs normaly. If I unplug the sensor first, the car races as if the engine is cold.

If I wait for the car to warm up before unplugging the sensor, the car runs normaly and the fan kicks on, with the open circut, which it should not.

The AC System has NOT ran in 5 years. I wonder if that has anything to do with it, or if there is an Engine control module somewhere that the fan is linked to some how?

I dunno.. Im ready to give up and just manually wire in a toggle switch under the dashboard for those really hot days when I need the fan to run..
Old 08-26-2009, 19:30   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

How hot does it get? Have you checked the temerature on the block near the switch? The gauge usually goes pretty high before the fan comes on.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:39   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
How hot does it get? Have you checked the temerature on the block near the switch? The gauge usually goes pretty high before the fan comes on.
Humm.. on the dashboard gage, shouldn't it kick on, when the tempature range hits mid range, or is it supposed to kick on when it gets even hotter?

I ran it untill the temp gage on dash board was midrange. I can try to let it go higher, if necessary.. but if I do that, when is the cut off point, when I should shut the engine down due to overheating?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Most cars go at least 3/4 up. I've seen some Chevys get almost to the redlinf and that's normal. Even if it gets overheated and you shut it off immediatly, it won't hurt it, just don't drive it that way. If it does overheat, post back and we can continue.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Most cars go at least 3/4 up. I've seen some Chevys get almost to the redlinf and that's normal. Even if it gets overheated and you shut it off immediatly, it won't hurt it, just don't drive it that way. If it does overheat, post back and we can continue.
Ok. well, I will be driving it up to G.R. tomarrow for a visit with friends.. thats 45 highway miles.. and a lot of city driving once I get into town.. stop go, etc.. that should be a good test for it..

If I remember right, when it did operate properly, once it kicked on, and was running, if I parked the car, and shut the car off, it would stay on untill it cooled down the engine enough.. or for about a min after I turned off the car. So far it has not done that yet..

I think there may be something to do with the AC/fan controller aspect of this, as there is AC on this car, and it has not worked in 4 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum