high constant engine idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2004, 12:41   #1 (permalink)

high constant engine idle

My car has been idling high for a long time. It goes up to 40mph without stepping on the gas peddle at all. Now it started overheating. I just replaced the water pump and thermostat. I know that I have a small crack in my radiator, but that has not effected the overheating so far. The other week I was driving to pick up from the airport. I noticed that my car was overheating a little bit, but thats normal for it. When I stopped to pay the toll my car shut itself off. We were able to get it started but when I came to a stop again it shut off once more. When I got the car home (after being towed) we noticed that the thermostat was broken into 4 pieces so that was replaced. Unfortunatley that did not fix my overheating problems, it still overheats almost immediatley after being turned on. please help!
midnightstar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 12:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: high constant engine idle

if you look on the right side of your carborator you'll notice a rod conected to a piston like thing. the same thing happened to me recently with my 2.3L, and i just sapstapped the fast idle switch down. Rough starts but generally runs better. Another thing to consitter if you want to fix it right is to get a carb rebuild since this problem is generally cause by gunk build up on your carb parts.
delirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 13:52   #3 (permalink)

my tempos a 94 and doesnt have carb. thanks anyway tho :)
midnightstar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 10:32   #4 (permalink)

Could be the IAC. Have you checked the codes. Even if there is no check engine light on, most likely there is a code that is stored in the memory.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 20:42   #5 (permalink)

If you remove the air tube and top of the air filter box you can use a pair of pliers to pinch the hose that run from the throttle body to the iac this hose is hard to see with the air box still on if when you pinch the hose the idle drops replace iac
jimd4132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum