Inaccurate Fuel Gauge Readings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 12:29   #1 (permalink)

Question Inaccurate Fuel Gauge Readings

Hi all. I have a 94 Tempo 2.3L Auto and it has been giving me some problems with the fuel gauge for a while. When the key is moved to the run position, the gauge falls to what I think is the accurate amount of fuel (it is closer to being accurate at least), but when I start the car, the gauge immediately jumps up quite a bit. It doesn't just stay at full, but it adds 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank automatically. The gauge shows even more fuel when I apply the brakes.

I just replaced the fuel pump and sending unit in the tank and made sure there were no problems with the wires up underneath the backseat. I'm all out of guesses. Any one else ever heard of this problem or have any suggestions? Any help is much appreciated.
jbrad001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2006, 12:49   #2 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

Re: Inaccurate Fuel Gauge Readings

you may have bent the float in the instalation process.
Old 06-18-2006, 15:36   #3 (permalink)

I was very careful when replacing the unit. The reason I bought the new one was to correct the same problem, so I don't think the float is it. Any other ideas?
jbrad001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 18:28   #4 (permalink)
93 2.3 MTX BOLTED OUT!

did you instal the float exactly the way it came out, its easy to instal it a little rotated. if not and the wiring is in decent shape id say go for the gauge in the dash, if you really wanan do that. id recomend either instaling a aftermarket 1 with its own gauge and power supply before wasting alota time trying to fix it.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum