Ford Forums banner

lifter noise

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike329 
#1 ·
I have an '89 Tempo GL and replaced the 2.3 L engine with a used one from a '91. The 'new" engine has started making lifter noise.

I removed the valve cover thinking I could adjust the rocker arms but it looks like they can't be adjusted. I removed one of them and see that there is a hold down "block" that mates with a curved surface on the rocker arm.

When I turn the engine to make sure the valves are closed, there is no "slop" in the rocker arms. I can turn the push rods but they won't move up or down so no slop there either.

Are the rocker arms "self adjusting" by sliding on that curved surface and so is the noise I'm hearing actually coming from the lifters?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
As suggested , especially if not been done for a while , changing oil and filter (using a good oil ) might help .If that dosen't work and you dont want to replace lifters , you could try adding one of the hydraulic lifter additives that are available .

#4 ·
First, thank you both for responding.

I drove this vehicle about 300 miles, 60 on 2-lane at about 55 and then 240 on the interstate at about 70 miles per hour. The temperature stayed very low until I drove at 70, then rose to the middle of the gauge.

When I stopped to get gas it stalled and wouldn't start (turned over very slowly like the battery was low). I found out later that the mechanic didn't tighten the lead to the starter and that was probably the problem.

I pushed it to a parking lot and after about 45 minutes it stated right up and that is when the noise started. The oil was about 2 quarts low but the "oil light" never came on. I added oil and a bottle of Sea Foam and drove another 100 miles. No help. Drove it home (Spartanburg SC).... another 600 miles.

It ran great (other than the noise). I got 27 mpg at 65 on cruise and even through the mountains it maintained speed all the way. I added another bottle of Sea Foam during that part of the trip but no help.

Once I got home I fixed the stater and added 2 bottles of Marvel Mystery Oil and ran it for 15 minutes and let it sit over night. Still no help.

Checked the rocker arms while it was running and nothing loose there. It did "feel" however like a few of them had a little more travel than the others.

No problem for me to change the lifters but I was thinking.... I know.. not good.... what if I cleaned the varnish off the rocker arms and support block so the arms could move more freely.... I noticed oil grooves in the arms and a "step" machined into the support piece for what I imagine is oil flow between the arm and the support block.

Sorry to be so lengthy but just trying to give all the facts.

thanks again....

#7 ·
Good idea.... I'll clean/replace the lifters and as long as I have the head off I'll get that rebuilt. Have to check the cam to make sure I haven't damaged it. Pretty sure I have to remove the engine to replace the cam.

Thanks for all the help.

#8 ·
Hello again. I've been doing some research and found that there in fact is a "lash" setting for this engine. It is 0.072 - 0.174 inch gap with a collapsed "tappet". Of course this can't be adjusted and only tells you if something is worn along the mechanical linkage between the cam lobe and the top of the valve stem.

The cam lobe lift is 0.249 inch on the intake valve and 0.239 inch on the exhaust valve.

Got any idea on how I can "collapse" the lifters so I can check the lash? That measurement would go a long way in telling me if I have cam ware.

thanks

#10 ·
Thanks a lot R.S. Great video. I'm hoping that that is what I need and not a cam....

Tried to measure the lift but my indicator has only a 0.030 travel so I'm going for it. Got the upper half of the intake manifold off so far.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.