Main belt -how to get it off?! Need to replace - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2001, 09:50   #1 (permalink)
Tempo Member

Main belt -how to get it off?! Need to replace

Dang it! I dont know how on earth to get the main drive belt out of my engine to replace it! Its a 2.3L 4 cyclinder off a '91 (or 92 - long story). There is a spot that looks like the automatic tensioner or something but i cant get it to loosen. Does anyone know if I need a special tool or how to get the main belt off?

Any help appreciated! Oh, tutorial on getting the trunk open WITHOUT a key coming soon. I have all the pics n stuff, just have to write it up.
bfaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2001, 10:16   #2 (permalink)
Urmama

Read Automatic tensioner

There is a special tool but you really don't need it. A rachet or breaker bar with a 1/2 drive will work fine. There is a square hole on the face of the tensioner, you just stick the rachet in there and I think pull it twords you. It was pretty easy. I could replace the belt now in about 10 min. You shouldn't need to get under the car.
Old 08-01-2001, 13:07   #3 (permalink)
Tempo Member

I got it off i got it off!!!! Damn that belt was in BAD condition. I just bought this car 1 week ago.

I replaced the belt, and she sounds much better. I did a muffler job on it too since the muffler had fallen off.

Tonite I solder the toyota wiring harness to the ford wires, then put in my friends old toyota head unit :)

I also got the trunk key made today so i have to put the whole lock and cylinder back in now. Lots to do
bfaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum