New To The Tempo family have some questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 19:35   #1 (permalink)

New To The Tempo family have some questions

Just picked up this car for my younger sister. I don't know a whole lot about these cars so I thought I would join the forum. I'm on a bunch of other forums and they are always a ton of help.

Anyway, it is a 1992 Tempo GL. 52k original miles - was an old lady's car. I paid $800 for it. For the most part seems pretty solid. There are a couple issues I would like people's opinions on though since you guys are much more knowledgeable than I am!

-Speedo goes crazy sometimes. Bounces, but generally seems accurate while driving. Could this just be a VSS issue? Or something to that effect?

-Driver window motor makes noise but doesn't move. I am guessing it is either off track or a little plastic gear is broken somewhere. Is this a common problem? If so is there any write ups? I am mechanically inclined, but I despise windows. I'll tear apart motors and transmissions all day, but I had window mechanisms. The only thing I hate more ...is paying someone else to fix my vehicles.

-ALL of the door locks seem stuck. Power switch doesn't actuate them, neither does the key. Or my fingers. All 4 doors. I know actuators can seize, just seems odd to me that all 4 would seize in the unlocked position.

- Last but not least - are there any must have mods for these cars? Especially any tweaks for MPG seeing as she will be commuting about 80 miles per day in this thing.

Thank you all and here is a pic of the beast!
jtyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: New To The Tempo family have some questions

Welcome to the forums. Looks like a nice clean car. That year had a speedo cable. It may need lubing or is bent. The window probably needs a regulator or gear, taking it apart is the only way to see what needs replacing. Try pushing the window by hand to see if it moves. Do the door locks work from the passenger side switch? Here's a diagram for the switches. See fig. 37. It should be the same as the 1996. | Repair Guides | Wiring Diagrams | Wiring Diagrams | AutoZone.com
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the welcome. I will check on the speedo cable to see if maybe I need to lube it or re route it. As for the window, I took apart the door to try and see what is going on and I couldn't feel anything reaching my hand down in the door panel. I don't want to try and force the window down in case I can't get it fixed. At least if it is up there is no snow coming in! The door locks don't work at all. I can't even manually actuate them with the key or my hand. It seems as though the actuators are all seized up. Thank you for the diagram though!
Old 11-01-2012, 13:16   #4 (permalink)

Door locks are " use it or lose it " . The old lady never locked her car or not very often.
If you don't know how to work on power windows DON'T, DON'T, DON'T. The guy i worked with in the next stall was working on a stuck power window. The switch ( after the fact ) was locked up. The motor striped out the regulator. Power windows are on a circuit breaker not a fuse. He moved the regulator just enough to engauge the gears and the breaker cooled. As the window went down the regulator came down like a guillotine. Sliced off the index finger and the middle finger. Didn't quite go through the
middle finger because it stalled. He passed out in pain before we CUT out the regulator
with a touch. I got my wrist caught in wiper motor connecting levers. Remember that wiper motors are always live until they park. As i unjammed it it started to park pulling
my wrist down and crushing it. If i wasn't in the shop and screaming i would have lost my hand. I've seen window motors pull 1/4 inch bolts out of the door skin. I think they
are just a bit stronger than your fingers. If your not in the business you probably will never see this but i have many times. It happened to me. BE CAREFUL PLAYING WITH
POWER WINDOWS. Even if you disconnect the power the weight of the falling window will cut your fingers clean off. Ask Bert. They take a little 12 volt motor, put a few gears on it and make a 5000 LB. wench. You are one of the smart ones. If you don't work on them. Stay away. I'm going to measure the power of a window motor one of these days
but i do know if you flinch up and grab a window in the down position and have someone raise the window it will lift you off the ground. I've tried it. Good luck
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 17:17   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Welcome to the forum! Bert and Chipset beat me to your questions.
Old 11-02-2012, 15:09   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
Door locks are " use it or lose it " . The old lady never locked her car or not very often.
If you don't know how to work on power windows DON'T, DON'T, DON'T. The guy i worked with in the next stall was working on a stuck power window. The switch ( after the fact ) was locked up. The motor striped out the regulator. Power windows are on a circuit breaker not a fuse. He moved the regulator just enough to engauge the gears and the breaker cooled. As the window went down the regulator came down like a guillotine. Sliced off the index finger and the middle finger. Didn't quite go through the
middle finger because it stalled. He passed out in pain before we CUT out the regulator
with a touch. I got my wrist caught in wiper motor connecting levers. Remember that wiper motors are always live until they park. As i unjammed it it started to park pulling
my wrist down and crushing it. If i wasn't in the shop and screaming i would have lost my hand. I've seen window motors pull 1/4 inch bolts out of the door skin. I think they
are just a bit stronger than your fingers. If your not in the business you probably will never see this but i have many times. It happened to me. BE CAREFUL PLAYING WITH
POWER WINDOWS. Even if you disconnect the power the weight of the falling window will cut your fingers clean off. Ask Bert. They take a little 12 volt motor, put a few gears on it and make a 5000 LB. wench. You are one of the smart ones. If you don't work on them. Stay away. I'm going to measure the power of a window motor one of these days
but i do know if you flinch up and grab a window in the down position and have someone raise the window it will lift you off the ground. I've tried it. Good luck
Thank you for the insight Looks like I'll get around to replacing all the door lock actuators in time. As for the window, I guess I will leave it be! I don't feel much like losing any digits. Since you are in the field, do you know about what a shop would charge to swap out or repair the regulator? I can hear it moving, just not actuating the window. So maybe it could be fixed.
Old 11-02-2012, 16:35   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Welcome to the forums.
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:03   #8 (permalink)

Alright update and new questions about the car. Replaced a wobbly belt tensioner, noticed a bit of oil on the front of the block. Red/orange RTV around the timing chain cover. Are there any common low mileage issues with timing or water pumps on these cars?

Swapped out the speedo cable for a new one. Didn't fix the problem. Speedo still bounces around for no apparent reason. So now, my problem is most likely the cluster right? Otherwise it would have to be whatever it reads off of in the transmission. Is that part replaceable? I'm not too knowledgeable about cable driven speedos. I have only ever dealt with VSS electrical components.

*Also forgot to add, the egr pipe from exhaust to valve - the little vacuum line that runs off that was broken. I went to pull the old vacuum line off the piece and it broke off. So I was forced to pull the pipe and weld the piece back on. I reconnected the vacuum line and now when the car is in neutral or park, the idle surges. Any ideas what that could be?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:18   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It may be a relearning process unless it keeps doing that. Someone may have adjusted the throttle plate to cover the vacuum leak and now it's off too. See if it has any codes. Fuel Injection Technical Library How To Run a Self-Test
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum