No Air out of Dash Vents - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2001, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
M J Costa

No Air out of Dash Vents

I've got no air coming out of the dash vents in 1990 Tempo. Nomatter what buttons I push I can only get air from defrost and floor vents. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2001, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
olympic

You probably have a vaccuum leak. There is a small plastic hose that supplies vaccuum to the climate control. I think it passes through the firewall around the heater core fittings. Check that it's not broken or loose.

If that's OK, it's probably something under the dash. Your climate control unit could be shot(not likely) or the blend door actuator on the heater box could be broke or stuck. It's a little vaccuum solenoid that moves the blend door to direct air to the vents, defroster or floor. I think it's visible from the passenger side under the dash.
Old 08-28-2001, 04:07   #3 (permalink)
M J Costa

Question Dash Vents

Thanks for the info. Everything else is working except for the dash vents. Is the vacuum solenoid a small cylindrical object that has the vacuum line going into each end? The vacuum lines are identified by color. Any idea which one controls the door you mention?
Old 08-28-2001, 10:42   #4 (permalink)
Tempo- Rich and Meaty

any vaccum leak anywhere in the car can cause the vents not to work. I had a hose come undone under the hood and all I had to do was hook it back up to get my vents to work again.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 05:50   #5 (permalink)
M J Costa

Problem Found!

I did some trouble shooting and found the problem. This has to do with NO AIR FROM DASH VENTS. The vacuum line that controls the dash vents is the YELLOW line from the push button control. The line ends up under the dash on the DRIVER SIDE. If you look up underneath the dash(you will need a light), you will see two vacuum solenoids. The one furthest away from you is the one that has the yellow line attached to it. Operate the panel vent button and you should see it move to open and close the flapper inside the ventilation system. In my case, where the actuator connects to the flapper is BROKEN, a major repair. In order to get some air out of the panel vents I stuck a screw driver into the hole where the end of the flapper that connects to the solenoid should have been and manually pushed the flapper up to direct air to the panel vents. I then placed a two inch bolt tightly into the hole to keep the flapper in that positon. I now have air coming out of the panel vents at all times and everything else still works as designed. Since this problem occured in my '90 Tempo, I'm sure it happens on many others.
Old 07-21-2003, 15:22   #6 (permalink)
Polaris

I have this exact problem--However I stick the screwdriver in the hole that the vacuum thing was attached to and I can't feel any "flapper" in there at all--Can anyone help me out with a fix for this? I think that it would be wat cosr prohibitive to tear the sucker appart to try to get to this. I guess I'm looking for a little better description of how to get to this flapper to send the air out the vents in the panel-

Thanks to anyone that can help...
Old 07-30-2003, 19:28   #7 (permalink)
leth

This won't be much help, but I had the same problem one night. I kept pushing all the different buttons, about five times each, and then gave up. About ten minutes later I tried the "panel vents" button again, and it worked. No idea why.
Old 08-17-2003, 17:03   #8 (permalink)
shutle64

Re: No Air out of Dash Vents

The flapper on the vents on my 90 Tempo has broken off. I just use a long skinny bolt and insert it in the panel vent right of the controls to switch it to vents. If you want the air on the window, use a tape measure and insert it down the vent to the window and it will go back to the window.

Also you can use the bolt to open it part way where there is air coming from panel as well as window. If you close all the panel vents by using the individual controls, the air will push the flapper back to the window vent.
Old 08-17-2003, 17:07   #9 (permalink)
shutle64

Yellow vacumm hose -- vents/defrost.
Blue vacumm hose -- floor / defrost.
White / Black vacumn hose -- outside air / recir.

Yellow & Blue on driver's side above temperature control wire. White/black on passenger's side accessible by behind glove box.
Old 05-26-2010, 13:57   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olympic View Post
You probably have a vaccuum leak. There is a small plastic hose that supplies vaccuum to the climate control. I think it passes through the firewall around the heater core fittings. Check that it's not broken or loose.

If that's OK, it's probably something under the dash. Your climate control unit could be shot(not likely) or the blend door actuator on the heater box could be broke or stuck. It's a little vaccuum solenoid that moves the blend door to direct air to the vents, defroster or floor. I think it's visible from the passenger side under the dash.
Anyone got a diagram or schematic of this system? i don't have a clue as to what to look for..

Last edited by Bumbledor; 05-26-2010 at 13:58. Reason: more info
Bumbledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum