Poor College Student's First Car...Mistake - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 00:09   #1 (permalink)

frown Poor College Student's First Car...Mistake

So I was so sick of taking the bus i bought a 91 tempo off of a nice guy a few blacks away...I have always been a ford lover so I thought $650 is nice price for this car.. It has its normal rust spots and on the few block test drive it was nice. So i bought it and was as proud as can be about my new beater....Until I took it for an oil change and an alignment for a left pull.. Boy did I get laughed at by the Monro mechanics. Turns out the entire underbody is basically rusting and rotted out including the strut mounts and the right rear one is detaching causing the wheel to toe out. They told me to get my pos out of there and take it to the junkyard...Not what I wanted to hear...

Well having just spent all that money that wasn't an option. So over a month later i am still driving good ole rusty. I need new brakes, tires, valve cover gasket and screws, engine cleaning, and most importantly the rear right rust problem. Are these repairs worthwhile or should I drive it till May and then send it to car cemetery? I have someone who happens to be a welder who I just met who says he is willing to weld some sort of brace to make the wheel straight.. Im wondering if that would work? My auto tranny loves to shift up and down too quickly when driving in 30 mph zones almost instantly from a stop i end up being propelled too fast for neighborhood driving. And I dont know if its the brakes or what but on hard sudden stops the front end makes a hard thump/clunk...Any ideas?

Bottom line is the car in its current condition cant pass NYS inspection which is up in may and im wondering if the welding can save it. Amongst its problems I kind of like the car its a basic go getter sans friends to come along for the ride...The car cant handle passengers well... Sorry for the long story but any suggestions would be helpful as I really dont want to send the car to the junkyard. Thanks. termike12@yahoo.com
91Tempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 18:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Poor College Student's First Car...Mistake

I would consider having the strut tower welded up for safety, but I doubt the bracing will pass the state inspection in may. If it were me, I'd keep it until this spring and start considering replacing it and saving up.

The clunk is most likely a bad motor mount/tranny mount.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 19:04   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Poor College Student's First Car...Mistake

park it out the front and put a sign on it for $650 or BEST OFFER. cut your losses and get rid of it. if you crashed it do you think you would survive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum