Pop Quiz from 92 Tempo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2004, 23:42   #1 (permalink)

roll Pop Quiz from 92 Tempo

Hello All! I'm new to the forum, but I have a 92 Tempo with the 2.3L and manual tranny. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, mass air flow sensor, throtle positioning sensor, air charge sensor, ignition module, idle air control valve, EGR valve, and EGR valve pressure sensor (and yes all this has been done within the last six months or so and it still isn't fixed). The question for the day is: "When I go to accelerate in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear, my car will either kind of cough at me or start to sound like it is missing and won't accelerate like it should normally. It does this especially in 2nd gear from 20 to 30mph. It will hit about 23mph and start to act like it is missing, but yet accelerate to 30mph slowly. As soon as it hits 30mph, it takes off running great like nothing happened. I just replaced the idle air control valve a few days ago. When I was back my parents place, I had my dad look at it. He unplugged the idle air control valve, and we adjusted the idle screw so it would continue to idle on its own. The car ran great, but was very cold blooded and didn't run on its own until it was warmed up pretty good. Of course, this was a temporary fix until I could replace the IAC. If there are any takers on how to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated. If you have more questions to ask me, I'll be more than happy to answer them. Thank You!

Gary
junkyard68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 11:59   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Pop Quiz from 92 Tempo

Check your gaskets for leaks.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:40   #3 (permalink)

It's been about 2 weeks since I've put the new IAC valve on, and it seems to have fixed the problem for the most part. It still wants to sputter once in a while like it did before, but not as much as it did before. It starts much better now, but I'm still going to check the fuel pressure on the injector rail to see if the fuel pressure regulator may be acting up. I didn't find any problems with the gaskets.
Old 04-21-2004, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
SoB

Where can I find said idle screw?
SoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 00:19   #5 (permalink)

Have you check the timing?
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:25   #6 (permalink)

I have checked for vacuum leaks and didn't find any. I talked to a buddy from back home that runs a shop and works on a lot of fords. He suggested I check the injectors since it seems like it's missing when I try to accelerate. I've checked the two outside injectors, and they checked out fine. I have the gasket for the intake and two injectors just incase there's a problem with the two middle injectors. The timing is another thing I was planning on checking this weekend as well as the two middle injectors. I'll let you know how it goes after this weekend! The idle screw is on the right side of the main butterfly valve on the intake if you are standing on the driver's side of your car. Keep in mind, I have the multi-port injection, and the idle screw just regulates how much air is let in. Check with you guys next week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum