Problems With The Transmission V6 3.0 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Tempo and Mercury Topaz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 11:31   #1 (permalink)

Problems With The Transmission V6 3.0

Well this started happening when it got colder. I have had the car for about 2 months now. I haven't done any reverse drops, nutreul drops nothing that would be hard on the tranny. What its doing now though if I razz it a little it'll stick in first gear and wont shift up. Also sometimes when im going highspeed in the country or something and slow down it'll make a clunk noise then stick in first. To get it working properly I have to shut the car off. If i run it through the gears its messed 1st acts like neutral and goes a little second acts like first and drive acts like first. Though reverse is fine. Also when it does this the pedal gets rock hard and its hard to push. I looked at the throttle cable today i dont know what to do to check if its off so i just sprayed some lube on it. Im not exacly a car genius but i read up on it and i seen all the symptoms my cars doing and it sounds like the throttle cable needs to be adjusted or binded.
Anyone else have this problem or know what this is please post anything will help.
BlanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 23:40   #2 (permalink)

Re: Problems With The Transmission V6 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanX
Well this started happening when it got colder. I have had the car for about 2 months now. I haven't done any reverse drops, nutreul drops nothing that would be hard on the tranny. What its doing now though if I razz it a little it'll stick in first gear and wont shift up. Also sometimes when im going highspeed in the country or something and slow down it'll make a clunk noise then stick in first. To get it working properly I have to shut the car off. If i run it through the gears its messed 1st acts like neutral and goes a little second acts like first and drive acts like first. Though reverse is fine. Also when it does this the pedal gets rock hard and its hard to push. I looked at the throttle cable today i dont know what to do to check if its off so i just sprayed some lube on it. Im not exacly a car genius but i read up on it and i seen all the symptoms my cars doing and it sounds like the throttle cable needs to be adjusted or binded.
Anyone else have this problem or know what this is please post anything will help.
What's the tranny fluid look like? It's possible that there's a stuck valve and a new filter and fluid replacement will fix it.

The tranny's are kinda hard to find. Basically it's the same as the 4 cylinder ones, but with the vulcan bolt pattern. I junked a 1992 Topaz LTS (about 1200 of them made) because of a bad tranny.
1999 Grand Marquis GS (4.6/auto)
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:11   #3 (permalink)

Re: Problems With The Transmission V6 3.0

Hi: New here. Got 2 tempo 92 v6 wiht 206Kmiles and 133Kmiles. Glad to find this site as I still have questions after all this time.
Your problem is simple. I got it on both tempos. You have a sticky cable. It will liklely need replacement
Both tempos I have got new tranis at about 100K (they fail like clockwork) and shift cable.
CountachQV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Tempo Forum | Mercury Topaz Forum